UPS Power Supply

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tallgrass, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Tallgrass macrumors member

Tallgrass

I am curious to know how many of you use UPS battery backup.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I use an 10+ year old APC smart ups 1400

Sort of would recommend buying a reconditioned 1400 or 1500 for big machines and a reconditioned smaller one if you don't need something as big.

A lot of people buy new when the batteries die, so there are some decent ones out there.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have UPSs on all my computers and home theater equipment

5. rtkane macrumors regular

rtkane

Same here. Have my iMac and a few select items on a 1500va APC.

6. brdnboy macrumors regular

I have a APC Back-UPS RS 800 (800VA) for my iMac 27" Core i5 and a Tripp Lite OMNI1000LCD (1000VA) for my Mac Mini, Drobo, AV receiver, TV, game consoles, etc.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using APC UPS's for over 15 years. The one I'm using now is an old BackUPS Pro 1400 feeding my iMac and PC. I also have a couple of others feeding my Home Theater systems. For protection against surges, I use Brickwall filters on all my electronics.

http://www.brickwall.com/conditioning-filtering.html

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

At home, I use a 6 year old APC's Back-UPS ES 350 for my old (now mother's) huge Dell dinosaur. However, it can only power the computer for 3 minutes from it's original 20. I'm not going to get another one as I want that computer to die.

In college, I only use a cheap Philips surge protector for my MBP.

9. ManOfTheHour macrumors member

If you have a desktop that you'd rather not have be ruined, you need a backup powersupply. Even if it only gives it another couple of minutes, if it has software thats compatible with your OS, it will tell it to shutdown thereby not losing data and such - and its a surge protector.

10. Tallgrass thread starter macrumors member

Tallgrass

Thank you for your replies. I went out and purchased a APC 550VA for my iMac. I feel better knowing I have this added protection. Especially now as we are having a lot of rain storms.

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

While I know you want the Dell to die, you can easily get a replacement battery for your UPS and have it back to snuff in no time.

12. Bubbalicious macrumors newbie

A proper UPS is definitely a must. We've been using 1400's for a long time, they work like a charm. Lately we've been buying the new SMT1500's for our office systems. They're the newer 1500's that just came out a few months back. They work great, only thing is that the fan is really loud and kind of difficult to use in a quiet setting. The older 1500's were much quieter. Either way, it's better to have than not to have.