UPS??? (Reward for Answer)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theqwertyblog, Jul 30, 2009.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

It is not going to have enough power reserve to do anything. We have LARGE UPS systems and they would only power our systems for < 30 mins.

My suggestion is to get a good surge protector or save up for a better UPS.

3. theqwertyblog thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys so much. And I looked it up and I will get about 10 min of power out of it. Thanks!!!

4. goMac macrumors 603

I'd expect only a few minutes of time off that UPS.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Probably less as time goes by.

That's why one keeps their bias lighting plugged into the non-UPS socket, so when the light goes out, its time to save and shutdown at that moment in history.

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

That Apple link is only with the stock configuration. My 8-core (see signature for details) is pulling down 320 Watts right now and I'm not doing much. I can get it up to 400 with little effort.

I personally wouldn't plug my Mac Pro into that UPS. We've got a decent thread about UPSes going here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=692097

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

OP, what kind of run time do you expect to need, and what kind of equipment is in the machine (now or expected upgrades)?

450W is too low IMO, as other's have mentioned. You won't have much time on it. Also, as the battery ages, the time will decrease.

8. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Yes and no.

Depends on your GPU(s) and whether the system is under load. An octo CAN come in at under 400 Watts when not stressed and with a lower end GPU. But loaded up with GT120's or with a 4870 or GTX285, or even simply loading the system via encoding you'll easily pass the 400W mark.

So for an octo that's a poor choice. Either get a good surge protector or a UPS with a higher watt rating.

9. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

10. nanofrog macrumors G4