Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
My primary server in my home is my Mac Mini (it's currently only running leopard, waiting on snow leopard to arrive to decide on upgrading to the full server version). My office is setup on an APC UPS, the server being the main system on the UPS and the system connected to the data port. What I want to do is; in the event of a power failure and the UPS kicks in, I'd like for the server to display a growl message (All growl messages are forwarded to my client machines), and prompt all of the client machines on the UPS to shut down (This would exclude my macbook, since it is not running on the UPS. No point in it). Just as how going to the menu in the top left and clicking shut down, I want that dialog to pop up. I'm guessing there's a terminal command I can issue to present that dialog (I'd just setup ssh+rsa keys on a shell script to execute that).
My initial thoughts were just to use the upsd & upsc unix programs, however, they are not present in the macports repositories (bastards!). Does anyone have any suggestions or possible solutions for this? I just need a way to execute a script once the ups kicks in (or at a specified point).

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Automate an apple remote desktop shtudown sequence?

Not sure how you detect when the ups kicks in

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
that's the same thing i'm wondering. usually i can just use a couple of gnu utils and everything works fine, but i'm in a new environment here. as i mentioned, macports doesn't have the correct software, so i need to find another alternative. does anyone know if os x server has any sort of functionality like this? it would give me more of a reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.