UPS Shipping Question - Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Nov 3, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I got a mac pro off eBay :)D) and UPS is delivering it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I probably won't be home when they deliver; and I don't want anyone stealing it from my front door when they deliver. What should I do?

2. nconnella macrumors regular

Call UPS and tell them. Typically UPS won't leave things on the front porch unless requested. Also, expensive items usually require signature confirmation which means they cannot be left on the porch. I don't know who would mail a computer without requiring signature confirmation....

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Call my local UPS? They closed at 6:00. And if I'm not there to sign for it, what will happen? Will I have to go pick it up? Can I do so on the same day as they tried to deliver (tomorrow)?

4. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

They shouldn't leave it for the first attempted delivery. If you are worried about it and you are not at home that much you can call them and ask for it to stay at the center and you can pick it up, if you live close to the center.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

UPS makes three delivery attempts. After the third, you have to pick it up. I find UPS listens well to notes. If you are worried, leave a SIGNED note on the door saying to NOT leave the package and make a delivery attempt the next day(chances are they won't anyway because of what I said before) but that should do the trick. Make sure to write "UPS" very large at the top so they don't miss it. Other than that, you can call UPS in the morning and see if they can contact the driver, but chances are they won't. Also, UPS has a 24 hour 800 number on their website. They can leave a message for your local branch with any special instructions on delivery.

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Leave a note saying that you want your mac pro left at your neighbors house (a trusted neighbor)

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Hmm. Can I do that? Leave a note, signed, saying to deliver it to a neighbor?

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

The closest UPS center is an hour away from me, so I don't think that will work.

9. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

One last thing, can I specify a time when they should come by? I'm only at home after 4:00, so they'd have to come by then. And, the most important question is, if I leave a SIGNED note, can I specify where it should be left? For example, could I specify that I wanted it to be left behind my side gate? So it's not in plain sight, and I would have nothing to worry about. Would they accept that?

10. munchmime macrumors member

Ups Shipping

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I work for UPS.

If you specify a time for us to come, we will probably not be back the same day - unless you have a really nice driver - we are pushed for #'s and time.
    especially with the loss of volume due to the economy,

The new diads (the thing you sign) tell the driver his stops and when he needs to deliver them by that day in accordance with the PAL label (the little address sticker next to the shipping label).

If you specify "after 4 or 5" in your note, the driver will be there after that time the next day.

If you leave a note for side gate, back door, dog house... neighbor at 46 ___ street, The driver will leave it there, and take your note, his #'s go up, and he saves a trip back.

other than that, you can call 1800 pick UPS and have them hold it at the center, then pick it up right after work- just as you would if you missed 3 attempts.

11. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, do I have to leave a specialized note? Or can I just type a note saying to leave it behind my side gate, sign it, and he'll do it?

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

I have a better idea.... tell UPS to leave it at my house! I'll take good care of it, really! :):)

13. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Some carriers allow you to go on their website and request to pick up at their local facility.

14. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Some carriers allow you to go on their website and request to pick up at your local facility.

15. munchmime macrumors member

Just A Note

just a note and a signature...
    that's all that is required for a driver release.

after that you will be put in the board as having that spot where you want your deliveries placed when your not home (unless you leave another note), and every time UPS comes-> no matter which driver you get, he/she will knock on the door. If no answers they will leave a post it with "the location" scribbled on it, and put it there.

simple enough.... what can brown do for you?
    you know why we wear brown? it hides the dirt better than any other color.
    our brown is patented. it's a special brown.

but too me it still looks like poop.
    mutters:
    "can't stand brown"
    while shaking head and walking away

16. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, I came home and found it sitting by my front door, despite telling UPS to leave it behind my gate. They saw the note, since they took it. I'm lucky it didn't get stolen. However, I have another problem. The case of the Mac Pro is dented in. I posted that in this thread.