Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I was hoping apple's spec page would simply give me the watts so I could pick an appropriate UPS. It did not:
http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/

I will have the WD DUo raid'd 4Tb drive, and want enough UPS to support a second drive, with total run time of about 15 minutes.

Any help would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Caveman_Mike

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
With the advent of power factor correcting power supplies, the consumption rating isn't so simple. That might be why the max consumptions aren't listed anymore for newer devices with those. But it could be simple, it's like they choose to not make it simple. Just like some stepped-wave UPSes don't play nice with some PFC power supply-equipped computers, although some of each do, so it could be simple.

Last edited:

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I think I will plug the imac & drive into my other UPS (which has a load meter LCD on the front), to get a sense of about how much power it consumes, then buy accordingly.

I was hoping to calculate it on paper first, instead of doing measuring experiments.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: Do you think a 750VA is sufficient? (just taking a guess)?

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
I usually like to get 1500VA just for as much run time as possible at a reasonable cost... and the 1500VAs on sale usually seem to give the best price/performance value. I used to also calculate it on paper first, but now it's just a guess. Older 27" models were listed as 310W, so that should give you a ballpark!

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I have a 27" i7 retina with the 290x video. My 1200va ups tells me i am pulling 26W and have a 96min runtime. I also have a Synology DS209 plugged in as well as a 3tb LaCie and my asus router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.