UPS without nasty beeping?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bigwig, Sep 23, 2010.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

Are there small UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) devices that either don't have that nasty every 30 seconds beeping when wall power is out, or whose beeping can be disabled? This doesn't seem possible with an APC or similar UPS.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have one of the higher end UPS from APC. On it I was able to disable the beeping. It does not alert me at all.
    It is one that have the LCD screen on it that can tell you the number of events, current power usage and so on.
    I agree the BEEPING is annoying as hell when it goes off in the middle the night.

edit:

I did some googling and it looks like you can use the Powercute software from APC and tell the APC to disable the audio beeping

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't see a problem here.

A UPS is there to protect your files during update, not to continue blithely along as if there were no power failure.

Maybe you need a home generator if you have to be serviced 24/7??

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Who else clicked on this thinking the OP was pissed off at UPS delivery trucks backing up to his door? :D

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The problem is often time APC will beep when the power is out. Now the point of the BEEP is to tell you "HEY POWER IS OUT" Now one beep would be ok but it keeps beeping as long as the power is out.

Now this is a problem when it happens in the middle of the night when you are trying to sleep. Really annoy when nothing is really turned on that is plugged in to it.

I know when I get home tonight i am going to hook my laptop up to the one on the downstairs TV and turn off its beeping. The only point of that was is to keep the DVR and TV power threw a power blip (less than 1 min). Mostly just to avoid dealing with waiting those things to power up. I know when I lived in my appartment I hook up my TV, Xbox and speakers to a small APC since often times turning a really windy day the power would blip. It was annoying to either have TV show I was watching or game I was playing interrupted by the power blipping for a minute. I put that on and quite often during a storm the lights would go off and either I would keep playing my game of Halo or watching my TV show.
    My desktop and modem were hook up to a larger APC that could handle a 20 min power outage. I was looking at the stats one day and it recorded 27 power blips in a single work day.

6. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

A UPS isn't just for computers. They work for wall clocks, DVRs, and home medical devices too. You don't need 24/7 coverage, just enough to handle brief outages due to glitches and electrical storms. Unless it's about to completely run out of juice, I very much do want it to continue blithely along as if there were no failure.

7. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's rather annoying too, but at least the UPS truck showing up means goodies are soon to be in my hands :cool: