upsample to HD video for Vimeo ... handbrake help?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Oats, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Oats macrumors regular

I've got a 1024x768 video that I want to upload to vimeo in HD. Unfortunately, vimeo won't make HD available to anything less than 1280 pixels wide.

What I'd like to do is upsample / upscale my video to 1280x960 and then upload it to vimeo. Can I do this with Handbrake, or do I need to use different software? Please help, thanks!

(Yes, I know upsampling degrades the image quality, but not nearly as much as the non-HD vimeo quality. I tried Handbrake "Picture Settings" and I can only make the size smaller. Anamorphic + PAR gives me some funny options, but so far not what I want. )

2. jessicyan macrumors newbie

Handbrake isn't do it, Because its output format only support mkv and mp4, no. Flv. U must download a video convertion.

3. initialsBB, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Actually, no, Vimeo uses H264, not FLV: http://vimeo.com/help/compression.
    Handbrake is even listed on the right of that page.

You are uploading 4:3 aspect video, you'll have to test to see what happens when you upload that pseudo-HD (official HD is 1280x720 or 1920x1080). You may also get more control over the conversion using MPEG Streamclip.

edit: I tested a 1280x960 upload, and although Vimeo does keep the ratio and size intact, it displays black bars on the left and right on the webpage (And full screen too, but that's normal with my 16:9 monitor).

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Handbrake CAN do what you're asking -- a simple video scaling. You just have to go to Picture Settings, set the scaling to "none", and put in pixel values that are evenly dividable by 16.

5. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

After I upscale, I plan to use handbrake to crop the top and bottom to make it the right aspect ratio.

It appears to only let you scale DOWN, not up. Strange but true.

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I don't think I understand then... why crop top and bottom ?? Is your original 4:3 or 16:9 ??

Actually, I don't find that so strange. As a video "slimming" tool I see no reason for it to upscale.

7. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

Original is 4:3. After I crop top and bottom, it will be 16:9.

Handbrake is much more than a slimming tool. For all the functionality it provides, I'm surprised upscale is not an option. I've got to upscale just a little bit so that Vimeo will recognize it as an HD video, and give me the better encoding.

8. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

You can do this in a two step process then, crop your original down to 1024x576, then upscale to 1280x720.

Actually I'm pretty sure it started as a way of further compressing DVDs to get them to play on iPods and iPhones...

9. Oats, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

Oats thread starter macrumors regular

you're earlier advice about MPEG Streamclip was right on. that program does what I needed. never heard of it before, but thanks for the advice.
    http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html