Upscaling DVD Player - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, Dec 7, 2008.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I Finally joined the HDTV bandwagon. I'm wondering what you think of Upscaling DVD players and whether or not it's worth the money to buy one. Let's hear it!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We've got some Sony HDD/DVD recorder with an upscaling DVD player feature. I don't notice it to be honest but it's not advertised as such, just a minor secondary feature.

DVD's do look good on my TV though so it must be doing something.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

We got a Sony upscaling DVD player to 1080i. The TV does believe the picture to be 1080i, and it look awesome. Not as good as real HD.

That being said, I haven't tried connecting the regular DVD player to see the difference.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

We just got a pioneer 1080p upscale dvd player using HDMI.
    Honestly I don't see much of a difference at all compared to our cheap maxell dvd player, that also uses HDMI.
    I think just getting a dvd player that supports HDMI is good enough.

5. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Great for watching old dvds, looks pretty good on my hdtv.

I would just buy a blu-ray though if I were you, that way you can upscale old dvds and play blu-ray if you choose.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a Sony Blu Ray player that upscales DVDs. DVDs look good on it, but there's still no comparison to Blu Ray. I'd save your money and wait for Blu Ray prices to come down a little bit more and get one of those.

7. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

It sounds like I'll be waiting for Blu-Ray prices to come down. I think Blu-Ray player prices are well on their way to being quite reasonable, but I'm hoping the price of the discs themselves starts to drop soon. I'm not too keen on the idea of paying $30 for a movie.

8. descartes macrumors 6502

blu ray prices are definitely falling. specials like buy 2 get one free or large discounts on new releases are common. but the price of regular dvds, especially second hand, are hard to beat right now.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

For me it was about the HDMI, and I'm not sure you can get an HDMI equipped DVD player that doesn't upscale.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Consider a PS3. They have very capable upscaling technology; additionally you'll be able to view Bluray, play PS games and use the internet.

11. descartes macrumors 6502

If you need a new dvd player, upscaling ones are just a bit more than regular dvd players and most have hdmi. otherwise you may just want to hold out for bluray.