Upset New Imac Owner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shoptime, Jan 4, 2008.

1. shoptime macrumors newbie

:mad: I just bought a new iMac 20" c2d for my wife. It works great except for the internet. It is super slow to load web pages. We have to reload pages 10 times to get them to load...

So I know your thinking I'm the dumbass and it's not the new mac.
    Here's the thing. We have wireless in the house. Have had for a year. Works great with PS3 and with old 400 mhz xp laptop.

So I thought maybe just a wireless issue so I plugged my modem right into the back of the imac. Disabled airport. Re-boot modem and computer.

Same crap. I ran ping to the same web site while I'm trying to surf to it and the ping times are under 100ms. So it's not the web site. And it's not the modem I don't think.

Next I typed in the same web site in my old laptop and the imac and hit enter at the same time with them both hooked up wireless. The laptop smokes the imac every time. The imac hangs and dorks around.

So I surfed forums and tried emptying cache, adding new location in network tab, tried firefox. same thing. Getting mad. So I called apple canada. waited 45 min on hold...:( talked to a person who ran through all the same stuff I already had, except for deleting a preference folder or something and it still is exactly the same, so she said "upgrade to leopord" cuz there is a free upgrade and see if that fixes it???????

I don't really want to do that... does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

she should be fired.

if you create a new user account, does the problem persist?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If Leopard came with your iMac, I don't see the harm in trying it?

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

clevin's suggestion is really the starting point of any thorough troubleshooting attempt.

Once you have done that, login to the new user and give it test, if no problems come up then this likely means it is specific to the main user account. I would suggest logging back into the main user and first just a basic repair permissions in disk utility, shutdown, and then see if it is better. If it is not, go to finder, user, library, prefs and then select com.apple.safari.plist and drag it out to the trash or really anywhere other than in the finder. Then shutdown (logout would really be fine, but just to be safe). Then give it a whirl. If you want to be doubly anal, reset your modem and wireless.

I recognize the issues suggests it is not limited to safari, but give this a shot first.

5. shoptime thread starter macrumors newbie

I created a new account and tried it. Same thing though. It loads google.ca right fast but I think it's pulling out of cache. Any other web site it starts to load, the blue bar moves about an inch or two then stops.

If you click anywhere in the address bar and hit enter it will load a bit more, then a bit more every time you do that untill the page is loaded fully...

Weird

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

You may want to check the Logs and your network conection settings and make sure you do not have a duplicate IP Address. Reinstalling the OS may help too... There may have been a bad install causing network to work poorly.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its just very hard for me to imagine a new iMac has this type of problem.

and since its "slow", not "no connection", its even more strange.

did you try to use OnyX, and clear every caches (including system cache)?

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Strange. As it relates to the hitting return and more of the page loading, it sounds more like time is simply passing and thus the page is loading rather than the enter/return button having any real impact, but hard to tell without being there.

Lastly,
    I am lost on this one. What free upgrade to Leopard is there? Was she talking about the $9 or whatever it is upgrade for people who bought a Mac right when Leopard was coming out? Otherwise I am lost, and as a shareholder not happy.;)

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

sounds like it could be a dns server problem.

Try adding the following DNS server entries into your System Preferences->Network

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you just bought it, it should either have come with Leopard preinstalled, or it should have a Leopard install disk.

Regardless, browsing works fine on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) anyway.

Your problem is likely due to network settings being off, either in the iMac, in the router the iMac uses, or in both.

In System Preferences->Networking, find the DNS tab (it's in different locations, and in Leopard it's found by clicking the "Advanced" button) and add 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222, and remove any others. This (OpenDNS) works well, and should provide a decent baseline for performance.

Edit: or use the entries above.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Did the OP call his internet carrier and see if they were having problems with transmission? I have a cable modem service and when surfing gets really bad I call them and they tell me that they are on low transmission due to repairs being done in my area.

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

I had this same exact problem so I can relate to "pages load a bit more after pressing Enter". I was running Tiger.

It was a DNS server issue, but I can't recall how I fixed it.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your issue.

13. shoptime thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx to all that posted, I will try these suggestions out later this evening as I am away from the machine...

It's nice to have some help!!!

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I haven't been especially dissatisfied with load times but I tried gauchogolfer's DNS trick anyway and it definitely sped things up. Cool!

15. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

It's somewhere in the IP settings. Really just "bad luck" that it happened to the iMac, if the next machine to come into the house had been a PC, it would have had the same symptoms with the same IP settings. My $.02.

Most helpful would be the output of this command from the laptop:

ipconfig /all

And this command on the iMac:

ifconfig

I'm guessing (as mentioned above), duplicate IP address or maybe the laptop is setup to share it's connection and the iMac has the laptop as it's first hop.

16. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I had the same problem with Leopard and it was my DNS settings in the Network Control panel. I put the IP address of the Uverse router into my DNS field and the problem was fixed immediately.

17. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Have you tried downloading an alternative browser such as Mozilla Firefox?

18. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

This may not be practical, so apologies if it isn't, but is it possible for you to try your iMac with a different modem/router?

Maybe your iMac just doesn't like your modem, or vice-versa.

Yeah, I know Macs are supposed to "just work", but you're clearly still having problems and I don't know what else to address (but obviously try the other suggestions in this thread first).

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
    SL

19. Mac In School macrumors 65816

^ Do what he said. It worked for me.

Also, if you're using DSL, make sure you have DSL filters on all your phones. Some computers are more effected by a lack of filters than others. I recently increased a friend's connection speed (he was using XP) by 300% by installing the DSL filters.

20. shoptime thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Resolved!

THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY THAT HELPED ME OUT.
    JSW'S SUGGESTION TO ADD 208.67.220.220 AND 208.67.220.222 TO THE DNS LISTING INSTANTLY CURED MY SLOW SAFARI!!!

It's too bad I couldn't count on Apple to help me but maybe it was just one person that didn't know better.

Thanx again.

Starting to like my imac again...:D
    :):):):):):):apple::mad:;)

21. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I don't think this would be an Apple/OS X issue per se, but more of an ISP issue. Glad you got it working though.

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

openDNS is very good. i applied it to my router and my mac and a couple of pcs in my network have seen a bit of a speed bump in browsing speeds. it also gives you a useful search page if you typed in the wrong address instead of the default error page.

23. shoptime thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if a new thread is necessary for this question but...

Can someone explain DNS settings that I changed and why it was so slow without those ip addresses in there?

Is my safari now defaulting to a different server?