Upset With Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kaylorraine44, Jun 21, 2008.

1. kaylorraine44 macrumors newbie

I made a huge mistake after owning my Macbook for only 3 and a half months. I split coffee over the keyboard and I brought it to my local Best Buy where I had bought it. They recommended taking it the Apple Store downtown. I take the skytrain to downtown and the people at the Apple Store were very nice but gave me an estimate of $1400 to fix a Macbook that only cost me $1300! The person at the store strongly recommended we file the damaged Macbook under house insurance. When my father went to do this, we were told that legally that is insurance fraud. We couldn't believe that an employee of Apple was encouraging us to do something illegal! We ended up going back to Best Buy and after much discussion they were able to replace my Macbook for $900. I realize I made a stupid mistake but I cannot understand how it could cost $1400 to repair the Macbook or how we were told to file it under house insurance only to be told that that is illegal! I am very disappointed at how Apple was unable to help us and severely misguided my family and I.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

That is weird. Majority of the apple employees are helpful and this one sounds very new to the world.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like you just dealt with an idiot at the apple store. I wouldn't let that affect how you feel about apple as a company, I too would have got a second opinion. $900 is still pretty steep but at least you got it back right! :)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would suggest you take it up with your house insurance company. Its not fraud. You had an accident and, if you are covered for such, they should pay. Looks like you took their word over Apple's.

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

$1400 repair for a $1300 computer how does that make any sense?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's only fraud if you lie on the claim. If you say "spilled coffee" then your insurance company will either accept it or reject it. You cannot commit fraud by telling the truth on a claim.

The high cost is because of labor. It's a lot cheaper to assemble a computer than it is to repair one. Oftentimes, your best bet is to simply cut your losses and buy a new machine.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That and submitting a $1400 damage claim on a homeowners policy is a bad idea, sort of adds a mark on the CLUE report for a minor claim.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Your indictment of Apple for any fault whatsoever is comedic. YOU
    spilled the coffee on the laptop. Often home insurance policies will
    cover certain events, sometimes not. You are representative of many
    American consumers that just don't get it-You are responsible for YOUR
    actions. It is YOUR fault. Pay for it and stop blaming everyone else
    for your screw-ups.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

My homeowners insurance covers my computers no matter how I manage to kill them (water, drop, lightning, etc).

Wonder why yours told your dad that?

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Same here- and for full value with the additional computer coverage rider I added to cover up to $25,000.

I wonder if the OP's dad tried to tell the insurance company it was stolen or something in case the policy didn't cover accidental damage? Now THAT would be obvious fraud. Other than that, I can't see how inquiring about a valid claim for accidental damage could be described by them as fraudulent.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Lighten up a bit, Tex. OP understands it's her fault. Sounds like she's so young she doesn't understand much about about insurance and other such adult things of life. She's simply venting and is getting a lesson in the process.

Some insurance companies have provisions for such actions. For example, I have a no deductible clause for my camera gear, even if I just leave it somewhere and it's gone (up to $5,000). It's certainly worthwhile to at least ask. Sounds to me like their insurance company is weasling out of their obligation or that OP misunderstood what the company said. To suggest fraud when telling the truth is completely bogus.

12. TSE macrumors 68030

Never trust insurance companies. With my experience from them, you MUST fight them for every penny, and they will lie to you just to save them a couple bucks.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it does; the repairs are tiered so they have set prices; for a Macbook Pro, you still have to pay the same price, for a Mac Pro, same price; yes maybe they should should set the price differently for different level or products but right now that's what they do.

As with homeowner's insurance, that is not insurance fraud; assuming you damaged your computer at home, then it can be considered damage in the house! Seriously what are the chances of your house catching on fire, stuff gets stolen, you break the walls down, etc.? Slimmer than spilling liquids on your computer! So no this isn't insurance fraud, and your homeowner's insurance company is using scare tactics; I'd switch for a nicer company and tell them why.

14. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

To the OP: I don't understand how filing a claim in your home insurance about a coffee spilled in your macbook an insurance fraud. Many home and renter's insurance covers accidents and theft of every item in the household including electronics as long as the mishap happens at home.

15. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

In the end doesn't it also raise your rates?