Upside down use of iPhone on TV show..!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Throw N Sparks, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Throw N Sparks macrumors newbie

Watching the Eleventh Hour tonight and saw this..

[​IMG]

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

It's amazing how prone toward upside-down using actors seem to be with the original iPhone on screen. You'd think that the two-tone back would make it all the easier to get it right. God, I love the design of the original iPhone.

3. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

This isnt' the first time that an iPhone has been used upside down on a TV show. This should be classified as an EPIC FAIL!

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I saw the exact same mistake on huge ad for a store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and just started laughin out loud, I must have looked pretty weird to people there now that i think about it

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Remember they are working and concentrating on lots of aspects of their job. They may have never used an iPhone and it is just a prop which works equally well either way. Also it could be a stylist decision to boot.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used it in that same manner, b/c I had it on speakerphone and I could hear the voice on the other end much better with my ear right next to the speaker... but that's just me. :p

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

8. calvy macrumors 65816

Colbert is always using his upside down, so much so that I think he's doing it to make fun of all the shows that do it. Cause I've seen this a thousand times on TV in the past year.

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

In order to use the product name or image in a show they have to pay a fee. It's a lot cheaper to just have them turn it around or in this case turn it upside down. It's not because the actor is stupid they were told to do it that way.

10. yode macrumors 6502

it isn't hard to cover the apple logo with your fingers..

11. eGraeme macrumors member

that whole show is an epic fail
    back to bbc with it!

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

Not only the upside down iPhone move, but I also like it when they're talking on it and the screen stays on the whole time even though they have it up to their face, showing that they're clearly not really talking on the phone since the proximity sensor would have turned the screen off :)
    I see this often on How I Met Your Mother when Barney uses his

13. yode macrumors 6502

Just saw entourage tonight, ari's wife was using it upside down in 1 scene, then right side up the shot right after.
    here's some screens

Attached Files:

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I noticed this too. You'd think with the kind of money that Ari is making, she'd have a 3G.......:cool:

15. rafayj macrumors newbie

I have seen many celebrities using Iphone. Its getting famous day by day, everyone loving it so far. I saw in this film "Hello" (Bollywood) one of the most famous celebrity was using iPhone.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Celebrities are better versions of you and me.

Um, :rolleyes:.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That just means the directory is not very aware. How good can a show be when the directory can't even notice something like that. At least in the editing room things like that should be found. I guess that is part of the reason I don't bother with TV

18. Jam03 macrumors newbie

This also happens in an episode of Two And A Half Men when Charlie answers his iPhone 1st gen :)

19. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The same thing happened on NBC's Chuck. Tonight Chuck was falsely using his black iPhone 3G (almost every character has one.) He had it upside down and they played some "normal" phone clicking noises. The even went as far as viewing the iPhones timer as part of the plot. Kinda nice to see. I also spotted several Macs this episode...

20. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

This season of Entourage may have been shot before the 3G was released. HBO series are, in many cases, shot like mini-movies. There's a relatively lengthy post-production period.

But her phone IS upside down...nice catch!

21. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

He's completely right, turning it upside-down is a lot easier to do then to ask someone to make sure their finger is covering a logo while they use a prop, remember their lines, and focus on doing their job.

They don't want to owe Apple money every time they show their logo on television, although I'm sure Steve wouldn't mind, as long as he got his check.

Touche superstriker.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

That's not how it works.

23. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

In magazines and newspapers, sometimes merchants will choose to print their ads upside down, to catch people's attention.

Hollywood knows how rabid Apple fans are, and may do this simply to garnish free publicity.

However, I've learned from experience, that when two possibilities for an explanation exist, and one of them is human stupidity, never underestimate human stupidity. :)

24. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. In fact, this is known as "product placement," and companies will normally PAY to have thier goods on-screen.

However, I've read that there is some kind of rule that says that companies can only pay for product placement in movies. In television, the rule says that they can only provide the item at no cost, in place of payment.

It's when a fee is not paid, or a product is not given at no cost, that you see logos covered.