Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
not me.. I don't want to risk anything bad happening to my iMac after I wake it up... one time it started going so slow... it was hell. After that, I shut down every night.

and even if I wanted to... I can't! I'm going to India tomorrow! hehehe.. wish me luck, eh?

irmongoose

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I'll be in that. 106 days.

Who's going to stop people from lying? ;)

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
who would bother lying about uptimes...anyway, after a fairly fresh restart:10:31PM up 4:22, 2 users, load averages: 2.17, 1.88, 1.60...I've got ages to go...and beej, how's it possible to go that far without restarting for updates every now nd then? BTW, for all you who don't know how to check, just "uptime" in your /applications/utilities/terminal"

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by irmongoose
not me.. I don't want to risk anything bad happening to my iMac after I wake it up... one time it started going so slow... it was hell. After that, I shut down every night.

and even if I wanted to... I can't! I'm going to India tomorrow! hehehe.. wish me luck, eh?

irmongoose

Wish you luck then..what are you doing there? Keeping it on shouldn't affect performance really at all...maybe you had a power cut and the filesystem got screwed...

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by mmmdreg
who would bother lying about uptimes...anyway, after a fairly fresh restart:10:31PM up 4:22, 2 users, load averages: 2.17, 1.88, 1.60...I've got ages to go...and beej, how's it possible to go that far without restarting for updates every now nd then? BTW, for all you who don't know how to check, just "uptime" in your /applications/utilities/terminal"

well i bet allllll of you, the highest uptime you will get is less than 2 months.

WHY?? well, Jaguar!!!

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Originally posted by jadam

well i bet allllll of you, the highest uptime you will get is less than 2 months.

WHY?? well, Jaguar!!!

You are so right jadam!

I could manage without the latest script update for the sake of a little competition, but theres no way I could resist installing 10.2 when its released!

Perhaps we should start the competition the day Jaguar comes out and then we'll all start together!

At the moment my cube has been up for 21 days, the last reboot was because I split water down the back of my desk onto the power supply and had to shut down quickly before it all went bang! Apart from that the only time its been off since I had it was when I moved home, and the occasional reboot for update installs.

Cheers,
Robin

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
hey yo.. ive had my pc on for a month and a half and had to restart it because i only have 128 megs of ram and Photoshop crashed when working with a really large image...

despite what people say, windows can be a very stable OS if you know how to keep it that way -- mas just dont get to the point where you have to work with em to get em not to crzsh, they just dont...

however, i really wouldnt recommend it to others because i have a really powerful fan on my CPU..

balliet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by Beej
Who's going to stop people from lying? ;)

You could just run nmap on their system. That'll tell you the uptime based on information from the tcp/ip stack. This informations can be faked but I'm willing to bet most users won't go through all that trouble for a stupid little contest like this. Also, to verify that its actually their computer, you could ask them to run a webserver and put some file in the root directory. That should stop people from just pointing you to their company/schools/whatever's server. The only other problem is that most people's workstations are probably behind a firewall or something which would make all this impossible.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
uptime

bash-2.03# uptime
10:26am up 97 day(s), 15:39, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.05

Thats my current uptime. Im not in the lead but a close second. :)

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.