Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

UrbanSpoon Finds You a Place to Eat

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the early apps in the iTunes App Store was from UrbanSpoon.com [App Store] which tries to help you answer the question: "Where should I eat?"

If you are fortunate enough to live in one of their supported North American cities or in London, then you can try their app. Almost like a slot machine, it lets you randomly choose between locations, cuisines and price ranges to find a restaurant at random. You are also allowed to "lock" any of these criteria and search on the remainder. For example, if you are specifically looking for an italian restaurant, you can lock in that option, and allow it choose the other criteria randomly. And of course, in iPhone fashion, in order to set the wheels in motion, you just give your iPhone a little shake. (Note that we've heard that the app may crash if you are not amongst the supported cities.)

A YouTube video shows the app in action.

Article Link

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I love the concept of the program. I only have two complaints:

1) It's a little buggy. I often get error messages (No more restaurants in this category) multiple times. Like, I'll close it and it will re-open again immediately for no reason.

I'm sure this will be sorted out in time, I look forward to updates.

2) The list of restaurants is a bit slim. It doesn't seem to take info from the phone book or the internet...I get the feeling they are manually entered into the program by someone.

This is good and bad. It's good because it's nice to get "real" suggestions and not just the first 10,000 McDonalds it finds. But on the other hand, it will be better once they add some more choices into it.

At any rate, both of these are problems I suspect will improve with time. I'd call it a "good" program now, but I sure hope it will become "great" after an update or two.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
This app is definitely a great idea, and really fun.... but does anyone else get the same couple of restaurants over and over? I feel like there's only 10 or so in it's inventory that it just cycles through...

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
This app is definitely a great idea, and really fun.... but does anyone else get the same couple of restaurants over and over? I feel like there's only 10 or so in it's inventory that it just cycles through...
It's tied to the urbanspoon website, which is a restaurant review/blog site. To see how many restaurants they have in your area, go visit their site: urbanspoon.com

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
i really dont like this app. the list of places in los angeles is very outdated. it keeps on coming up with places that have been closed for over a year and half. second it only seems to have really bad places on it. for example when I do italian Marias comes up 4 out of 5 times. yuck. i dont know why people would use this over something like yelp

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I put it on my iPod and tried it and while it's good, it brings up the same restaurants again and again and again, so it would be better if it had an expanded database.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It sounds like a fun app... when I feel comfortable with unlocking 2.0 on the EDGE iPhone, I might give it a try. I use Google Maps for this, sort of, all the time (like typing in chinese or something and having it show me restaurants near where I am).

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I liked Urban Spoon. I discovered some restaurants I didn't know about and it was free :D

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
This is a cool concept... but it should also allow you to pick your own place. So say if after a couple tries you decide to pass on what it picks, then let me see a list of all restaurants based on the locked (or unlocked) criteria and my location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.