[URGENT] 2011 Macbook Pro 13" Authenticity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingston1987, Jan 21, 2016.

1. kingston1987, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

kingston1987 macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Someone from my university is selling me their used macbook pro 2011 13" for $100, which is a steal. But she says the keyboard does not work at all. The macbook pro is from china, and I'm concerned whether or not if it's real. She says everything works fine aside from the keyboard. but I'm concerned (aside from the whole real/fake thing) is how does a keyboard just stop working, could it be water damage? The owner does not know.

I already have a macbook pro 2015 but need one for storage/in home PC and for $100 it sounds like it's worth it. I'm scared that it would be a fake though, and is there a way I can replace the keyboard myself? If not would an macbook recognize an external keyboard at the log in screen?

The writing in the back is concerning me whether or not if it's real or not. I understand they manufacture it in china and they do sell them in other countries but it's really different from the bottom of my current macbook.

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Looks genuine. An external keyboard should work fine, no matter the state of the internal keyboard, unless the USB controller has died, and there's only one way to test that.

According to the writing the MBP is sold in Canada I believe, so why do you think it is from China? Unless you mean it was assembled there, which 99% of Apples products are.

3. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

You shouldn't underestimate the Chinese copying powers, but I don't believe they can make them run OS X. Just like fake iPhone running Android.

4. Queen6, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Simple check the serial number with Apple. Make sure the SN on the base plate matches the SN reported by OS X. The Chinese text is not an issue and common to all Mac portables manufactured/purchased in China, if anything it`s an indication of originality.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204347

https://checkcoverage.apple.com

Odds are with the keyboard not working the notebook has at some point incurred liquid damage, as generally Apple`s keyboards are extremely reliable.

FYI it`s genuine and I recommend you remove the image with the serial number :)

Q-6