URGENT - Accidentally deleted QuickTime recording before saving

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darnocs, Sep 22, 2012.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

I recorded a two hour (very important) meeting via QuickTime X, and I clicked the close button to save it, save dialogue popped up, and I typed a name in but then decided I didn't like that name. So I clicked Cmd + Delete to delete the entire row of text. Oops? That also deletes files in Finder. So before I had saved this recording, I accidentally deleted it. And it's not in the trash. it was like a 200 MB file and I have no idea where it would possibly be…or if it does still be. Any ideas or is it completely hopeless?

2. simsaladimbamba

Using CMD+BackSpace in Finder deletes the file, in QT X and its SAVE AS dialog it deletes only the name and gives you the option to enter a new one and that will not delete the actual recording.
    Is the QT X screen recording window still open?
    If not, you closed the window via other means than deleting the actual file.

I haven't found a way to find the temporary location of the screen recording, but if you are still using your computer, you have probably already overwritten the file with new temporary data.

3. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I make this mistake somewhat often, actually. but when I do, it usually just goes to trash and I pull it back out. This was the first time I deleted it before saving, though. Unfortunately, yeah, that's what I thought. Doomed. Oh well, thanks anyways!