URGENT!! Adding password to existing network?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryang89, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ryang89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    really hoping you can help me out with this!
    Here's my situation:

I have a network set up in my house from a D-link router. For about a year and a half, it's been working great. With the Airport on my Intel Mac, I've been hooking up to the internet no problem. The thing is, we never set up a password for our network that we've been using! I've been meaning to figure out how to do this for a while but I never got around to it, until now because it's urgent!

SO! Today I turn on my computer, and I notice that the name of my network has been changed from "default" to "securise your network". I can tell this has been done by one of my neighbours because they made a spelling mistake. This invasion of privacy has really pissed me off, but even more made me want to add a freaking password to my network!!

So please, if anyone can help me... how can I edit the network? I can't seem to find anyway of accessing my router through my computer or password options or bla bla bla any of that stuff.

PLEASE HELP:(

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They've just done you a favour, you should secure it.

To access your router try going to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.

You can find the password to login to your router here.

You should go for WPA security and you should change the login password for the router too ;).

3. scr1968 macrumors regular

You normally can access your (Dlink) router with a web browser. I think Dlink uses the IP address 192.168.0.1 but double check your manual.

Enter in your username and password. Since you got hacked it is probably still the default out of the box (username:admin, password: <blank> --- but again double check.

From here you are on your own. Each router is different. But you will want to enable WEP (at least) and make up a code so that only your computers can gain access to your network.

SCR

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Navigate in safari to http://192.168.1.1

The user name should be admin and the password admin (or blank) then just follow the easy instructions.

In reality, you don't need to secure your network, just the router.

TEG

5. ryang89 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are awesome!!
    Thanks so much for the quick response!! Worked like a charm!

6. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Don't even consider WEP go straight for WPA2 if at all possible.