Urgent Advice needed! Download carrier update or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by andygabriel, Feb 17, 2010.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have an official unlock Iphone 3G from New Zealand and i'm using it in Taiwan with the a non-iphone carrier.

After updating to firmware 3.1.3 i got Tethering back on and it working wonderfully and for me tethering is extremely important.

But yesterday when i connected my iphone to my laptop, itunese prompted me to download a new carrier update. Should i update? Do you think it'll deactivate native tethering on my iphone. I dont jailbreak my iphone and never will. P

Please guys tell me what does that carrier update means. And i'm not with the official iphone provider in Taiwan.

Please HELP!

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

it means your carrier has provided an update for your phone. if it were me, i would not update it, since carrier updates have the capability of disabling tethering.

3. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

While I don have a definitive answer, logic would dictate that if everything is working right now, do not update. That's just my opinion.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

is hardly even worth updating. Just a couple very minor updates. such as more accurate battery life reporting. I don't find 3.1.2 to be that bad now. not worth the update time imo.

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

The OP is asking about a carrier update, not a FW update. It states quite clearly they have already updated to 3.1.3

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When you have tethering working due to a carrier hack, you NEVER update the carrier file. I have the Stealth 6.0 hack on OS 3.0.1, and I simply click no to any offer to update my iPhone.

7. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

As i stated above my iphone is not jailbroken and i have no hack. It's officially unlock i.e I can use it anywhere in the world with any sim card and i have native tethering since FW 3.1.3. But i'm not with the official iphone carrier in Taiwan.

As you probably read in other threads. 3.1.3 activates tethering for official unlock iphones though i know this is not the case in the USA.

Since i'm not with the official carrier i was wondering why i have a carrier update.

I'm worried apple decided to deactivate tethering again!

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Anyone know if there is a way to update the carrier file to enable tethering in the US with v3.1.3? I did do some searches, and it doesn't seem like I can do what I want, but was wondering if someone knew a solution.

I am going to install iProxy via my developer credentials but that is hardly ideal, but it should work.