Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msingerh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Hi guys!!
I am a girl who is living in London but is right now in LOS ANGELES.
I am thinking about buying a MACBOOK PRO.
I am a singer, so I would use this computer to compose, produce and record myself.
I am also a journalist, so I may use it to edit some videos too.

First question:
I don´t know if I should buy a MACBOOKPRO WITH RETINA OR WITHOUT RETINA. (Also, note that I can only buy the 13-inch macbookpro without retina) -.-'

Second question:

SHOULD I BUY THE MAC IN USA OR UK?
in CA
the 13-inch MACBOOKPRO no retina costs: 1310 dollars
In UK 900 pounds, which is 1400 dollars
but in UK I have a STUDENT DISCOUNT: 15%, so the mac will cost me 1092 dollars.

what I would like to do if it's possible is:
buy the MACBOOKPRO in USA with my UK STUDENT DISCOUNT (I don´t know if I can do that)
and then CLAIM THE SALES TAX at the airport when I go back to UK.

Does anyone know if I can do that?

Third question:
should I buy it in Mac store or in gainsaver, maclocks or any of these shops?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
A brand-new non-Retina MacBook Pro is only $1,099 dollars, not $1,310 ... at least here in the U.S ... on Apple's online store. Why it's almost $1,400 on the UK store is beyond me.

zcZmo0K.png

You can also get a much nicer Retina MacBook Pro with a 500 GB PCI-E SSD from the Apple refurb store for less tan $1,400: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Yeah, it's $1099. Not sure where she got that $1310 from. Even after the CA sales tax it doesn't total that amount.
Best Buy has it on sale for $1045. Not a whole lot but it's something.

But if I were you, I'd get the 13" Air instead. The i5/4/256 is on sale for $1140 at Best Buy ($1199 regular price)
You get more or less the same display quality, but a much lighter machine, newer processor, a much longer battery life, and the speed of the PCI-E SSDs.
No one should buy the classic MBP in my opinion. It's criminal that Apple still sells it.

wolfie37

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
and then CLAIM THE SALES TAX at the airport when I go back to UK.

Does anyone know if I can do that?

When you claim back the sales tax you will then be charged UK VAT (20%) and import tax. That will cost you way more than the sales tax you claimed back.

I did buy a USA spec MacBook once, the keyboard layout is slightly different but you can set it to UK Keyboard in system preferences then remember where the keys are

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I am pretty sure there is no system in the US the claim back the tax at the airport like we have in the UK. In fact a similar system operated in Canada many years ago but that no longer exist either. I also very much doubt you will be able to use a UK student card to get a student discount in the US.

Based on the information you provided it looks a lot like you would be better served waiting until you return and buying in London.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.