Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I'm having some Airport issue here that I have no idea how to resolve.
I am trying to connect to a cable modem and my computer receives the IP address fine but the subnet address is always put in wrong. I know this because the Win PC on that modem puts the subnet to 255.255.224.0 and on my Mac it's always 255.255.0.0.
I need to get this to the one above without putting in the IP manually since it is provided by the modem. I really am lost here and appreciate any help. Geez, first time Windows actually works compared to my Mac... :rolleyes:

Aliquis

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
Utah
There are some manual setup options in the network prefs pane. look in the configure setup and then figure out which type you need. if you need any help, PM me.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i am confused. is your cable modem a wifi router/cable modem? also the brand and model number would help...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back. It's a Motorola surfboard cable modem.

Checked with another user but it doesn't work then either. It always puts in the wrong subnet mask. The Windows PC does it fine, I don't know what the deal is... :confused:

g^3

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
i had a similar problem a while ago with that modem. to get everything to communicate properly i first had to shut everything off (router, modem and computer). then turn on the cable modem, wait for the lights to blink for about a minute. then turn on the router or airport and let that blink for a minute or so. when the lights steady on the modem, then turn on the computer. hope that helps.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Have you tried resetting the Base Station? If so, have you tried doing a factory restore and then running the AirPort Updates?

Just some other things to try....

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
g^3 said:
i had a similar problem a while ago with that modem. to get everything to communicate properly i first had to shut everything off (router, modem and computer). then turn on the cable modem, wait for the lights to blink for about a minute. then turn on the router or airport and let that blink for a minute or so. when the lights steady on the modem, then turn on the computer. hope that helps.

The thing is there is no router, it is connected via ethernet.

mklos said:
Have you tried resetting the Base Station? If so, have you tried doing a factory restore and then running the AirPort Updates?

Just some other things to try....

I'll try to reset it and see if this helps but I doubt it since the Windows PC works fine with it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What provider are you using?

I just set up High Speed Internet (Comcast), with a Airport Express. Took a loooong time to get working. And I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly how I got it working. I can tell you this...It is not your Apple's fault, it purely because your Internet prover is set up for Windows (just something Mac users have to get used to).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
thinking...thinking...
Do you still have Apple Care, they can help. I remember I first tried to follow the providers (comcast's) instructions, and they just kept getting me further and further away from working.
Apple told me to delete the network preferences folder, which got me back to square one, then they were able to help me, but still not get me all the way.
It was one of those things that I accidentally stumbled into after trying and trying for several days.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Everytime you try something new (such as a new hook up or new ip or something).
Make sure you power cycle, meaning you unplug the airport, and your cable modem for 15 seconds, and then plug them both back in. If you don't do this those pieces of hardware may not realize you did something, and your computer won't look for changes either.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
EricNau said:
Everytime you try something new (such as a new hook up or new ip or something).
Make sure you power cycle, meaning you unplug the airport, and your cable modem for 15 seconds, and then plug them both back in. If you don't do this those pieces of hardware may not realize you did something, and your computer won't look for changes either.

I've already told him to do that.....

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Is the cable modem connected to both your PC and your Mac at the same time? I don't believe that modem is able to serve out more than one IP address.

I had that modem for over a year and never had a problem connecting to it with all or mixtures of the following:

My Mac
Airport Express (bridging to another Airport Express)
Linksys wired router

In all cases I just used DHCP for connecting. If you have more than one thing connected, that could be your problem.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I connect over ethernet no router there.

Yes it is only one computer connected at a time. But the PC works (meaning it grabs the subnet mask correctly), while the Mac doesn't. The IP and all seem to be fine. I'll continue trying, thanks for the tips so far.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Diatribe said:
I connect over ethernet no router there.

Yes it is only one computer connected at a time. But the PC works (meaning it grabs the subnet mask correctly), while the Mac doesn't. The IP and all seem to be fine. I'll continue trying, thanks for the tips so far.

ok one more question, but where does the airport come in this. are you talking about an airport basestation or a card? also, if you are connecting over ethernet then what does it have to do with an airport.

to answer you question though... since you have a cable modem, a lot of cable companies register which MAC (not mac) address can be on their network. translation: each ethernet card in the world has a unique hardware address called MAC. When you got a cable modem, I imagine the tech hooked up your windows pc which in turned let the cable company know that it would allow that pc on the network. the solution would to get a basestation and or broadband router (wifi is preferable) then call the cable company say you want to register a new router at your house. however, that answer depends on my question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.