Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi

My dad passed away and we are trying to preserve contents of his free email account in case they shut it down.

It is a basic pop3 rediff.com account without ability to upgrade it to an IMAP account which would make things a lot easier.

I added his account to Airmail 5 and also apple mail and could only download about 100 emails and could not download Sent folder.

The web email account will also only show 100 emails then you have to hit "show more" before it loads the next 20 or so emails.

I did this for about 200 emails and set them to unread but could not download them via Airmail.

If also tried importing them from Gmail but it won't connect to rediff email account for some reason even though I do not have different password on rediff email for pop3 access.

If you could let me know any app or method to download his emails I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
POP3 doesn't truly synchronize, of course, so sent emails aren't going to show up anywhere except where they were composed nor are any other folders created at the rediffmail portal.

Since you've already tried the "mark unread and connect with a POP client" method, with limited results, that might be as far as that's going to go.

One thing I'm thinking, though, is you could try this:

You got 100 emails to download via POP using Mail on a Mac. See if, in the Mail app, you move those downloaded emails to a folder you create "On My Mac" (dads-inbox) for safe keeping, delete them on the Rediffmail website, and recheck Mail in the Mail app (not sure if you'd have to re-mark them all as unread at the web portal…maybe it'll be necessary). Does another 100 download? If so, repeat the process until the Inbox at the web portal is empty.

If this works, you've got all the inbox mail in an "On My Mac" folder, and the web portal's inbox is now empty you can move the Sent mail to the Inbox at the web portal (100 at a time? I dunno) and repeat the process to a new folder "On My Mac" (dads-sent).

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for replying Brian. He possibly has about 15 years of email and just the first 100 were from december 2021. I am hesistant to delete or move any of his important emails around. The rediff system is so slow(i'm on 270mbps connection) that every "show more emails" option takes 1-2 seconds to appear after you click to show the next 100 emails.

POP3 doesn't truly synchronize, of course, so sent emails aren't going to show up anywhere except where they were composed nor are any other folders created at the rediffmail portal.

Since you've already tried the "mark unread and connect with a POP client" method, with limited results, that might be as far as that's going to go.

One thing I'm thinking, though, is you could try this:

You got 100 emails to download via POP using Mail on a Mac. See if, in the Mail app, you move those downloaded emails to a folder you create "On My Mac" (dads-inbox) for safe keeping, delete them on the Rediffmail website, and recheck Mail in the Mail app (not sure if you'd have to re-mark them all as unread at the web portal…maybe it'll be necessary). Does another 100 download? If so, repeat the process until the Inbox at the web portal is empty.
If this works, you've got all the inbox mail in an "On My Mac" folder, and the web portal's inbox is now empty you can move the Sent mail to the Inbox at the web portal (100 at a time? I dunno) and repeat the process to a new folder "On My Mac" (dads-sent).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.