Urgent: "application Launch Failure"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JH123, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JH123 macrumors newbie

Hi there -

I am getting this error message when trying to re install my Epson Scanner Perfection 1650 to a PowerMac G4:

"Application Launch Failure: The application "EPSON Scan" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "8<BaseInstaller Carbon><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonSound><>"

Any clue how to get around this??? It is def a Mac issue because I installed the scanner onto my PowerBook and I am able to scan fine - No error message.

Any ideas???? Please help! Thanks so much in advance!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver..

I also repaired disk permissions, but there was nothing that needed to be repaired.

Very odd. It was working fine a few hours ago without any error message. I have never seen that particular error message before.

What do you think?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep - I restarted about 5 times now....

Completely stumped.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Have you restarted the scanner? i.e., unplugged it for 10 seconds and then plugged it back in? Made sure the USB cable was plugged in? Removed all leftover pieces of the installed driver before reinstalling? Tried installing/running it logged in as another user?

7. JH123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I restarted the scanner, unplugged the usb, and re installed. I got rid of every leftover piece of the installer driver.

When I try to log in as another user my safari quits on me and will not even let me download a driver.

I did install to my laptop, and that works fine... there must be something corrupt in my Library on the G4, don't you think?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sounds like something going on. As for a corrupt library.. maybe, but unlikely. Data isn't written to libraries, only read. More likely there's disk issues or a problem with RAM.

Try booting from the installer DVD and run Disk Utility, then run a disk fix. And then boot from the harddrive and run a permissions repair from Disk Utility.