urgent - buy MBP now or wait for upgrades ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AMSOS, Nov 21, 2010.

  1. AMSOS macrumors member

    Nov 21, 2010
    hi all !
    well the situation is a little tricky so i thought of asking forum people.
    i am planning to get the basic MBP 13 inch. with education pricing it will cost me 1099 instead of 1199 $.

    however, its thanksgiving time, and i was wondering if and (where ! ) i can get a better deal ...
    amazon ?? any specific site i should check out ?
    also is there any risk in buying from stores other than apple ?

    and finally can i expect substantial discounts below the apple eduction ? or insignificant ones ? e.g. amazon right now if offering MBP for 1111 $ ...

    finally, if i dont get a much better deal than that by apple education, does it make sense to wait for processor and other upgrades to the MBP which should be round the corner ? if yes, when and what will they be ?

  2. fsumom macrumors regular

    Nov 1, 2010
    Amazon has it for $1113. Depending on where you are, there might not be any tax. I've had my MBP 13" for a couple of weeks now and love it so far.
  3. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    If you have a Microcenter store nearby, they have the best deal on the base 13" macbook pro at $1000 plus tax. In-store only. If you can score an open box, you save another $100 at the cost of possibly a week's worth of warranty period.
  4. US Marine macrumors member

    US Marine

    Nov 21, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I'm in the same situation! I've been lurking this forum and others for the past couple of weeks. I'll be attending colleged (as part of a commissioning program) starting in January, and I'm very seriously considering getting a MBP 13" for the occasion. I've never owned a Mac before though, but for some reason it's really drawing me in!
    On Black Friday, I will be able to get the 2.4Ghz version of the MBP 13" at the exchange on base for less than $1000 tax free. Seems like kind of a steal, but with Sandy Bridge coming soon...I dunno!
  5. AMSOS thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 21, 2010
    is it reliable ?

    wow deeddawg !
    spot on. i checked online and microcentre seems to be offering it for 1000 $ !
    but they won't show the price, and it says available in store only.
    now why so?
    and second, how are they in a position to offer such a heavy discount ?
    and they also say they announce they are "apple resellers".
    which brings me to the questions of reliability. will the MBP i buy be brand new or perhaps refurbished ? and more importantly how do i tell ?

    also, do you think it makes sense to wait for the next round of upgrades to the MBP ? probably there will be a better processor ...

    what say ?
  6. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

    Tears Apart

    Jun 10, 2009
    Outside Closer
    Buy it now if you need it, brand new or refurbished doesn't matter. Save yourself the stress of spending days to find the best offer: that is priceless.
  7. HLdan macrumors 603


    Aug 22, 2007
    LOL, the OP says it's "Urgent" but asks if he should wait? Makes no sense. My same answer as usual, if you need it now, buy it. Ask yourself, would you constantly wait for the new model on everything you buy? Sneakers, TV's, DVD Players, Couches, Beds, Furniture, Cookware?? Where does it all end? Just get it now, it will be outdated by new electronics anyway.
  8. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    A MBP from Microcenter will be brand new, unless you buy an "open box" which is very clearly marked as such. This deal is available only in their brick & mortar stores. I have one nearby; they've been there longer than I've lived here. Microcenter is a long time retailer and a long time Apple Reseller. How they do what they do I don't know, but they're completely legit.

    The openbox MBP13 I bought yesterday is perfect. I could tell someone had read the manual, but Microcenter had wiped the HDD and reloaded OSX as a bare-metal install. iLife 11 disk was included in the box. Only difference from new is when I look up the warranty, Apple says it started a week before. Not bad considering I got a MBP13 2.4Ghz/4GB/250GB for $900 plus sales tax with a 51 week warranty. :)
  9. Mac Composer macrumors member

    Oct 29, 2010
  10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Oct 14, 2010
    +1 on your local Microcenter ... you will be waiting 3 months for anything new from Apple and it will not be $999 :cool:
  11. alust2013 macrumors 601


    Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    Microcenter is legit, no need to worry about that. There will be better processors in the new revision (likely not until spring), but will your use actually be CPU demanding? If not, you won't notice a difference between the two.

    But like others said, if you need it now, buy now. If not and you don't mind waiting, then wait.

Share This Page