[Urgent] Can you use Time Machine to backup a non-OS drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yalag, Jun 30, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I'm a few hours away from selling my mac. I have a internal drive here storing some media and document files. Can I use the time machine technology to backup this drive to an external drive and then somehow restore it later? I don't want to do a simple copy and paste of all files, I'm afraid that I might miss some system files or other application specific stuff.

Thanks!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm pretty sure Time Machine is an OS X only feature and only works on OS X installations.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry I do have OSX installed. But what I want to backup is not the OS drive, but a second drive in my mac that stores non OS files.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Indeed. So the issue is going to be the fact that OS X is not installed and running on the non-OS drive.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

What procedure should I take instead in this situation? A simple save disk as image from the disk utility?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Carbon Copy Cloner is free (shareware).

7. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

Carbon copy cloner should work, but I don't understand how you could miss 'system files' if it's a drive for just documents and stuff. What system files could be there?

CCC just copies everything from one drive to another, and can even clone your entire system. The clone works so well you can even boot the computer from it. You should be able to copy a non-OS drive's contents to another drive no problem using CCC.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

TimeMachine will black up an external drive plugged into the USB or FireWire port of my Macbook Pro. I do have to tell Time Machine to NOT exclude the drive-- TM defaults to excluding.

The external drive has only files, not OS information. It is, however, formatted as an OS X Extended (journaled) disk. This may be a prerequisite for Time Machine.

Having backed up both the external drive and my internal drive, I can restore them using Time Machine at a later date, to a new machine or to a new disk. I've done so many times.

I hope this answers your questions.