Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi all,

I have an app in the App Store, which certificate is about to expire. (regarding push notifications)
What's the best way to renew this certificate ?
- Do I revoke the current one, and generate a new one?
- What will happen with the app in the App Store? Will it be unusable, do I need to re-upload the app as in.. 'new version'

Nothing changed to the app as it works like my customer wants it.

I really need some advice on this, as this is my first time.

Thanks in advance!

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
nobody has a clue on this?
I know that I can revoke and make new certificate without breaking the app in the store, but will it automaticly take my new certificate for the push notifications

Of course, I will regenerate new PEM files for server-side

sorry for bumping

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
The certificate isn't embedded into your application, so after creating a new one and then deploying it to your server, you should be good for future and previous iterations of your apps - you are free to revoke the existing certificate without any effect.

The new certificate will just need to be bound to your Apple ID Developer Account and the app's Bundle ID, as it should be anyway, and you will continue to receive notifications as expected.

Reactions: DennisBlah

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
The certificate isn't embedded into your application, so after creating a new one and then deploying it to your server, you should be good for future and previous iterations of your apps - you are free to revoke the existing certificate without any effect.

The new certificate will just need to be bound to your Apple ID Developer Account and the app's Bundle ID, as it should be anyway, and you will continue to receive notifications as expected.

Great! Many thanks for your reply!

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Actually I just went to app ID, and clicked configure, Revoke and generate a new certificate
thank god it still worked after updated .pem files on the webserver :D

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Mine also expired couple od days ago. I just created new one (did not rewoke old one) and xcode figured out that there is new certificate and used it when I uploaded new app to itunesconnect.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Mine also expired couple od days ago. I just created new one (did not rewoke old one) and xcode figured out that there is new certificate and used it when I uploaded new app to itunesconnect.

I did not uploaded a new app at all. Just revoked the Push certificate inside the App ID, and created a new one.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I did not uploaded a new app at all. Just revoked the Push certificate inside the App ID, and created a new one.

Yep, you wouldn't need to.
As described briefly above, the certificate authenticates your remote server to push to Apple's servers and provides the identification for who the push is for (via Bundle ID). Apple's servers take care of signing themselves to the iOS device because notifications aren't actually sent to an app, but the device itself. The receiving app is unaware of the certificates existence or any-of-that notification-stuffs-happening until told by iOS - essentially leaving it out of the loop (and meaning they can't go stale from an expired certificate unless Apple screws the pooch between their link, like they've done with other certificates in the past :eek:).

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisBlah

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I meant that I uploaded brand new app and not just updated version of existing app already in App Store :)
Hi Boris, there is no need for uploading a new app, or updated app. Just generate new Push Certificate on your App ID, and you can use it again for sending push notifications to already existing apps in the appstore :)

Reactions: Boris-VTR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.