Urgent decision - Help quick!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigabouli, Oct 23, 2008.

  1. Bigabouli macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #1
    i'm in the market for a mbp

    choice 1
    Early 2008 MBP - new - upper model
    RRP $3399 - clearance $2899 (possible to bargain too)
    Called store - they can hold this for me until tomorrow!

    choice 2
    Late 2008 MBP - new - upper model
    RRP $3999 - educational discount $3678

    the first option is very tempting - not a huge fan of the new screen or touchpad. i like the keyboard and the unibody though.
     
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
  3. polar-blair macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #3
    late 2008 edition. if the rumors of the new MBP being able to handle 8GB of RAM and run both GPU's the latest one is far superior to the previous model, even if you dont like glossy screens.
     
  4. Nipz macrumors 65816

    Nipz

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Location:
    UK
  5. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #5
    If i buy the older model i could sell it and when Nehalem comes out? by that time any bugs could be fixed...

    i don't want a laptop that is glitchy (as you can see i am leaning towards the older version - maybe it's cus it's so much cheaper)
     
  6. Nipz macrumors 65816

    Nipz

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Location:
    UK
  7. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #7
    i presume u mean bug - since i'm buying it online and live around 3000km from the nearest apple store how easy is it to send it back and get a replacement?
     
  8. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    #8
    exactly why you should go with choice #1. with the money you save you can get apple care and some other stuff if you need it. there are bound to be some bugs that pop up that will be fixed hopefully.
     
  9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
  10. dubhe macrumors 65816

    dubhe

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Norwich, UK
    #10
    sensible = option 1
    greed = option 2

    Do you need the higher spec?

    The last edition of the old MBP is by definition the best one, and will be highly desirable on eBay if you choose to sell it later ;)
     
  11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #11
    If you're planning on getting a Nehalem model later on then I still say option 2 is better. Option 1 is pretty much the going rate for that model, from Apple or from any other retailer. Option 2 is the education price, which most people can't get. Option 2 is probably what the refurbished / second hand price of the laptop will be in six months time. I'd say you'd lose less money with option 2 in the long run, because of the educational discount.
     
  12. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #12
    low end costs $250 less after i include 4gb of ram (which should be standard imo in a pro laptop) and 7200 rpm hd. not much when you consider the gains.
     

Share This Page