Urgent decision - Help quick!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigabouli, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Bigabouli macrumors member

i'm in the market for a mbp

choice 1
    Early 2008 MBP - new - upper model
    RRP $3399 - clearance $2899 (possible to bargain too)
    Called store - they can hold this for me until tomorrow!

choice 2
    Late 2008 MBP - new - upper model
    RRP $3999 - educational discount $3678

the first option is very tempting - not a huge fan of the new screen or touchpad. i like the keyboard and the unibody though.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

3. polar-blair macrumors regular

late 2008 edition. if the rumors of the new MBP being able to handle 8GB of RAM and run both GPU's the latest one is far superior to the previous model, even if you dont like glossy screens.

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

5. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

If i buy the older model i could sell it and when Nehalem comes out? by that time any bugs could be fixed...

i don't want a laptop that is glitchy (as you can see i am leaning towards the older version - maybe it's cus it's so much cheaper)

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

7. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

i presume u mean bug - since i'm buying it online and live around 3000km from the nearest apple store how easy is it to send it back and get a replacement?

8. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

exactly why you should go with choice #1. with the money you save you can get apple care and some other stuff if you need it. there are bound to be some bugs that pop up that will be fixed hopefully.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

sensible = option 1
    greed = option 2

Do you need the higher spec?

The last edition of the old MBP is by definition the best one, and will be highly desirable on eBay if you choose to sell it later ;)

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you're planning on getting a Nehalem model later on then I still say option 2 is better. Option 1 is pretty much the going rate for that model, from Apple or from any other retailer. Option 2 is the education price, which most people can't get. Option 2 is probably what the refurbished / second hand price of the laptop will be in six months time. I'd say you'd lose less money with option 2 in the long run, because of the educational discount.

12. Bigabouli thread starter macrumors member

low end costs $250 less after i include 4gb of ram (which should be standard imo in a pro laptop) and 7200 rpm hd. not much when you consider the gains.