Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
In an attempt to speed up my iMac, I decided to delete some files from my Downloads folder. I searched ".mp3" and sent all 2,000 to trash as well as many other file-types previously (e.g. .download). However, when searching in the Finder I deleted all of the mp3s on my whole computer. I emptied trash before all of this deleting and now there are only two files in there.

Where are the rest and is it possible to undo this delete?

I feel they are still somewhere accessible as iTunes is still managing to reach them.

EDIT: the file path in iTunes shows one of these files as being in /Users/Sebastian/.Trash/

EDIT: when typing this file path into my browser I get the trash window with them in it. Is there a quick way to put them all back where they were?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
What about opening the Trash and right-clicking on a folder and selecting "Put Back"?
If there are only .mp3 files in the Trash and no folders where they normally reside in, which will probably the case, you need to put them back manually (clicking every file with the right mouse button and selecting "Put Back" or selecting the .mp3 files per folder (or whatever sorting method you used) and dragging them pieces by pieces back to where they come from.

Sebastiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Sorry, I should have said: I'm running Leopard so I don't have the put back function. Is there a way to unhide the .Trash folder?

EDIT: Also, my trash folder recognises there to be 2,500 files inside despite only displaying 3.

EDIT: I've unhidden the trash folder but it still won't show the files inside...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry, I should have said: I'm running Leopard so I don't have the put back function. Is there a way to unhide the .Trash folder?

EDIT: Also, my trash folder recognises there to be 2,500 files inside despite only displaying 3.

This widget can show hidden files and folders, but the Trash is not really that accessible: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Dashboard-Widgets/Webcams/Miscellaneous/Hiddenfiles-Widget.shtml

Screen%20shot%202011-07-28%20at%203.18.31%20PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.