URGENT! Do I have malware???

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
So I just was using my rMBP as usual and all of a sudden Safari opens a new tab with this link, "http://fqtag.com/pixel.cgi?s=i3t40e7t-08d317bc." I wouldn't click on it, but this is what it looks like:

It keeps opening these tabs. Even when you close out of Safari, it reopens and displays these tabs!!! I'm scared, what's wrong???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As long as you did not enter your password to allow anything to install, you should be okay for malware.

What happened is you hit a skeevy web site that used Javascript to hijack the page. Now when you restart the Safari "resume" feature is taking you back to that same page and the problem repeats.

Try quitting Safari then hold the shift key as you relaunch Safari and that should stop it from going back to that page and all will be well.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
As long as you did not enter your password to allow anything to install, you should be okay for malware.

What happened is you hit a skeevy web site that used Javascript to hijack the page. Now when you restart the Safari "resume" feature is taking you back to that same page and the problem repeats.

Try quitting Safari then hold the shift key as you relaunch Safari and that should stop it from going back to that page and all will be well.
Interesting explanation. That seemed to work, thanks.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013

Great explanation! :)

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Disable Java (not Javascript) if you visit shady sites... Install an Ad-blocker on your browser to... block adds... :D And have good common sense... If you think a site will bring you problems, don't go to that site. :)

mdlong

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
No you don't have malware

Actually, the issue is due to your Flash plugin for your Dashboard client. Whenever your browser opens the new tab to fqtag.com, open up your Activity Monitor and you will see that the process called "Flash Player (DashboardClient Internet plug-in) is chewing up a lot of CPU time. If you force quit this process the tabs will no longer open. (see attached screenshot).

Attachments

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Stop visiting pron sites ;)
Or, don't run your mac as an Admin, use OpenDNS to block malware and other known evils, uninstall Java from your Mac, install Google Chrome, enable "click-to-play" for all plugins, use Ad Block and Ghostery extensions, and use Chrome's "Incognito" mode.

Fredn3ck

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
USA
Admin Account?

There is no real-world disadvantage in running an Admin account.
Admitted newbie here.

I thought the whole premise of not running in an account with Admin privileges was to prevent malicious code from making changes to your machine without your permission. Is this not the case?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Admitted newbie here.

I thought the whole premise of not running in an account with Admin privileges was to prevent malicious code from making changes to your machine without your permission. Is this not the case?
That isn't the case. Any attempt by malware to modify system files would require entering the Admin password, even if logged in as an Admin. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some of this is probably dated material as the OS is Snow Leopard but yet still kind of interesting for us tin foil hat types
If you'll notice in that article, as in so many other places where the non-admin account is recommended, they state no factual basis for that recommendation. There is, in fact, no advantage or disadvantage to an average Mac user in running an admin or non-admin account.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Or, don't run your mac as an Admin, use OpenDNS to block malware and other known evils, uninstall Java from your Mac, install Google Chrome, enable "click-to-play" for all plugins, use Ad Block and Ghostery extensions, and use Chrome's "Incognito" mode.
All fine and dandy, except for all your browser activity being entered into the big goolgle repository. I try to avoid chrome if at all possible.

But very sound advise. Thanks.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I find it kind of funny you go through all this then use a poorly coded resource hog of a browser that essentially spies on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.