URGENT! Do I have malware???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dekema2, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

So I just was using my rMBP as usual and all of a sudden Safari opens a new tab with this link, "http://fqtag.com/pixel.cgi?s=i3t40e7t-08d317bc." I wouldn't click on it, but this is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

It keeps opening these tabs. Even when you close out of Safari, it reopens and displays these tabs!!! I'm scared, what's wrong???

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as you did not enter your password to allow anything to install, you should be okay for malware.

What happened is you hit a skeevy web site that used Javascript to hijack the page. Now when you restart the Safari "resume" feature is taking you back to that same page and the problem repeats.

Try quitting Safari then hold the shift key as you relaunch Safari and that should stop it from going back to that page and all will be well.

3. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Interesting explanation. That seemed to work, thanks.

4. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Great explanation! :)

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

6. Itzamna macrumors regular

Disable Java (not Javascript) if you visit shady sites... Install an Ad-blocker on your browser to... block adds... :D And have good common sense... If you think a site will bring you problems, don't go to that site. :)

7. mdlong macrumors newbie

No you don't have malware

Actually, the issue is due to your Flash plugin for your Dashboard client. Whenever your browser opens the new tab to fqtag.com, open up your Activity Monitor and you will see that the process called "Flash Player (DashboardClient Internet plug-in) is chewing up a lot of CPU time. If you force quit this process the tabs will no longer open. (see attached screenshot).

Attached Files:

8. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Or, don't run your mac as an Admin, use OpenDNS to block malware and other known evils, uninstall Java from your Mac, install Google Chrome, enable "click-to-play" for all plugins, use Ad Block and Ghostery extensions, and use Chrome's "Incognito" mode.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no real-world disadvantage in running an Admin account.

10. Fredn3ck macrumors newbie

Fredn3ck

Admin Account?

Admitted newbie here.

I thought the whole premise of not running in an account with Admin privileges was to prevent malicious code from making changes to your machine without your permission. Is this not the case?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That isn't the case. Any attempt by malware to modify system files would require entering the Admin password, even if logged in as an Admin. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

12. Fredn3ck macrumors newbie

Fredn3ck

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you'll notice in that article, as in so many other places where the non-admin account is recommended, they state no factual basis for that recommendation. There is, in fact, no advantage or disadvantage to an average Mac user in running an admin or non-admin account.

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

All fine and dandy, except for all your browser activity being entered into the big goolgle repository. I try to avoid chrome if at all possible.

But very sound advise. Thanks.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

I find it kind of funny you go through all this then use a poorly coded resource hog of a browser that essentially spies on you.

16. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Agreed, any time now there will be the follow-up "Why is my battery life so poor" thread :D