**urgent** do not know admin username

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poohat1000, Nov 12, 2007.

1. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

****.. stupid mistake i know, but i dont kno wmy admin username - when first logging into leopard it simply says "other.." - i know the password.... anything i can do ????

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

if you haven't set anything up yet the easiest thing would be to reinstall and set up a new account.

3. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

wont that still leave my admin account on there?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you would have to do a clean install, and restore any data left on there from an archive and install by backing it up to another computer first which can be done by borrowing a friend's Mac and starting yours in target disk mode, you may be able to see your home folder from there to and then you would not need to do a clean install though.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Seeing other at the login screen usually means you've enabled the root user. It should be disabled unless you need it. Here is more information on the root user.

Nevertheless, if you boot from some OS install discs you should be able to use the Password Manager to change a password. :)

6. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

no idea how to do that... know of any tutorials :(? - what key do i hold down to boot via cd?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hold C to boot from a CD. Read up on the root user article and see if anything there rings a bell. In the meantime, tell us exactly what you were doing before this all happened? :)

8. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

says i can do an archive and install via booting from leopard disc.. all my apps and docs will be saved right?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Slow down. I really don't think that's necessary. In one of the menus there should be a Password Manager or something similarly named. Use this to reset your account's password.

10. rmh macrumors regular

Definitely try the alternative routes that mad jew is suggesting before jumping at the archive and install. It might be a simpler fix than you think.