*Urgent* Efi Boot or Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Spontida, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Spontida macrumors regular

I followed the guide where you delete the partion is disk utility to install windows 8.1 via bootcamp, but I restarted and see 2 options. Windows, and Efi, along with mac hd, and recovery. Which do I choose and which is better?

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

The Windows one will install in CSM (bios) mode, which is the old "normal" Bootcamp way.
    The EFI boot option will install in EFI mode (the more modern way) but it may well have problems, depending on which Mac you have.

3. Spontida thread starter macrumors regular

Well I took an educated guess and went for the bios version. I have the late 2013 macbook pro retina. Would EFI cussed any problems? Would it have been faster?

4. biohead macrumors 6502

EFI is quite a bit faster, and it's what is replacing the BIOS on most Windows PCs now.

That said, I think only the 2013 Air can properly support an EFI Windows install - I'm not quite sure on your 2013 rMBP (13" or 15"?). It will work, but you may have one or two minor issues (e.g. my 2012 MBP has no audio when using EFI).

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

As biohead has said EFI can be (will be) preferable for a number of reasons.
    One is that the drive stays fully GPT (as opposed to the horrible hybrid MBR/GPT) that Bootcamp creates.
    Another might be that you could then have as many partitions on the drive as you want.
    Another is that EFI boots slightly faster.
    EFI should be a more stable boot process.

However, there is one big problem.
    Bootcamp does not natively support EFI (except possibly on the 2013 MacBook Air) - go figure :confused:

But we can hope that Apple sees the light and makes the appropriate firmware/software changes so that the drive which came as GPT can stay GPT even if we use Bootcamp for Windows.

Maybe one day.