Urgent Export Final Cut Pro Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mackieuser, Oct 14, 2007.

1. mackieuser macrumors newbie

hey guys i am film student and am making a 2 hour documentary for one of my projects. I was going through a lot of the exporting codecs and i found a lot of them to be really blurry after exporting and then burning. I need your help as soon as possible on what good codec to use during exporting and what is the best codec to use to fit the documentary on a 4.7gb dvd or would it be best to put on a dual layer. Please get back to me guys i would appreciate your help and hope to get a good grade on my project... thanks guys

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

i'm pretty sure most (if not all dvds) use mpeg2.

can't you export right to dvd studio pro?

3. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

yes its possible... but i need to know what is the best exporting codec to use
    i have tried hd1060i but it still does not give me the same resolution after it exports and burns
    so like you said mpeg 2 is common
    but what is the best exporting settings to save...???
    as well as to burn...???

thanks,

4. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Should I export as a quicktime movie? When I do it doesn't come out widescreen.

5. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

quick time still makes it blurry
    i need to know the best exporting (.mov...mpeg..mp4...etc.) and best settings
    with export and burn for hdvmini formats

6. bkvideography macrumors member

when your done editing, in final cut pro, go to File-Export-Quicktime Movie. This will give you, guaranteed the best quality (its not even going to compress anything, it's going to use the exact quality and settings your camera shot in the first place).

You can burn that movie to a dvd using the finder to make a "data dvd" (just as if you were putting a word document or photos onto a dvd for storage).

BUT.....if you want your DVD to play on a TV, you need to convert it to MPEG2. This is industry standard for 100% of DVD's today. DVD Studio Pro will do this all for you if you just import the movie into DVD Studio Pro and burn it. DONE.

7. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Alright I did this, But when I play it in Quicktime its not widescreen like its supposed to be.

8. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

but which mpeg settings are good for hd exports?

9. bkvideography macrumors member

there is only 1 kind of mpeg2 and dvd studio pro will do it all for you. you have 2 options - best quality, or fastest encode. THATS IT.

the reason it doesnt play on ur computer as widescreen is a complicated answer, but basically quicktime is actually playing it correctly. Your monitor is different than a TV, so it plays squished (the pixels are different).

widescreen quicktime movies on computers suck until you burn it as a movie dvd.....then it will be forced to play correctly off the dvd.

10. bkvideography macrumors member

HD doesn't matter. MPEG-2 is MPEG-2, no matter how you shot it.

11. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

*note...the footage is 2 hours long and it is hd format which i am trying to fit on a 4.75 gb*
    so basically what you are saying is all i have to do is export MPEG2?
    and burn on dvd studio pro? and the quality will still remain hd?

12. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry If Its Possible Please Get Back To Me Here I Just Need To Know One Simple Answer

13. bkvideography macrumors member

this aint simple bro.

you have 2 hours of HD footage. Full quality - 2 hours of HD footage = 26 GB.

Why do you want to put all this on a DVD? Do you want to watch it on TV or do you want to put it on for backup?

14. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

* 2 Hour (HD) Footage *
    * Want To Export (Which Setting Is Good To Fit On 4.7GB)*
    * When Encoding Which Is The Best Settings To Encode On
    So That Resolution Will Be Clear And Not Blurry*
    * Is It Recommended That I Use A Dual Layer DVD or Will Single Layer Do*

Thanks,

15. bkvideography macrumors member

You have to tell me why you want to put it onto DVD or I can't help you (no professional can).

Why do you want to put this footage onto a DVD....

TV or Backup?

16. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

It is for a student project that i finished and i would ideally like to fit the whole thing on one dvd if possible... i could always split it up but i mean im trying to find a easy breathing way of exporting on 1

17. bkvideography macrumors member

again, do you want to watch this on TV with the dvd or do you simply want to save your work using a dvd?

18. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

19. bkvideography macrumors member

THANK YOU.

MPEG-2 is your only answer. Just import your quicktime movie to dvd studio pro and burn it and thats it.

20. mackieuser thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you
    i will give that a try and let you know
    thanks for your help