Urgent: External USB Drive Gone South?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coocooforcocoap, Feb 4, 2008.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Urgent: External USB Drive Gone South? I had a power supply go bad on my backup drive that had 3 partitions, one for the CCC clone, and the other two were storage for large files (disk images). So, as it is here, parts are scarce and I had to jerryrig an enclosure from spare parts (validated using another drive in XP). But now when the drive mounts I get this error for each partition:

[​IMG]

So i tried a new version of disk warrior and i get this report:
    [​IMG]

And when i try the replace i get this:
    [​IMG]

And in Disk Utility, its even worse:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas, or is this toast?

ps.here is the drive enclosure. it's not pretty but it's functional, on a PC with XP that is...
    [​IMG]

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hmmm... that doesnt look good. Have you tried erasing it through the OS X discs?

It really looks like you are screwed...sorry. If it is really broken call the manufacturer if you are still in warranty.

3. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

thanks noodles. have u seen the new pic i posted? i think the warrenty is void, whatcha think? seriously, old drive anyway. but i think the drive is ok, and i have not erased because the disk images stored there are not backed up and are huge, all about 4gb. i would burn them but get this, i am waiting for a new superdrive from apple, as the one in this new mbp won't burn, but will read.

bit of bad luck. I could try and copy the images to another machine, but never had luck with such large files (we have a wireless lan).

hmmmm....but i guess i could just erase the bootable clone partition and reclone that but something tells me i am in trouble here.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

HAHAHAHAHA.....nice drive man!! Give the erase a shot.

5. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

NOODLES, Well erase seemed to help, until i rebooted and added some files. It seems something called a "wrapper" keeps getting lost, that's what i noticed in diskwarrior. So finally i screwed it up enoough that osx wants to initalize the drive on boot, so everything is gone now (but i did get the files off that i needed). Soon as i have time I will try and reconstruct the drive from scratch...sad, it was a perfectly working CCC bootable clone drive....those are really nice to have....thx,
    CCFCCP
    oh, i almost forgot to add this question: is it possible that once u change a drive controller, you must start from scratch? this is what I am thinking really happened...some incompat between osx and the new controller, a jmicro ATI bridge? But i have a similar enclosure (seriously, a real one) that is also a jmicro, but it's for sata and not ide, and that works grand.