URGENT: Fastest "Bit for Bit" Backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shorty116, Feb 18, 2010.

1. shorty116 macrumors member

I have a broken external HD. I tried everything from Disk Utility to DiskWarrior to Techtool Pro to repair it - no success. Then i put it in the freezer (for 1 hour) and it actually worked for some seconds. Now i will leave it in the freezer for 24 hours to at least get some minutes with my data.

As i probably won't have more than a few minutes, what is the fastest way to backup stuff? Normal copy/paste needs like forever because it first needs to determine how much files there are and secondly, as far as i know if it stops copying while not finished yet the whole copy process will be aborted… So i need something that copies "bit for bit" so that i can use every data copied until the HD dies again… any help appreciated!

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

"Normally, in order to make a disk image, the disk you're copying from has to be able to spin up and talk -- in other words, it's OK to make a copy if the disk is healthy. But what happens when your disk is becoming a doorstop? As long as it continues to spin, even with physical damage on the drive, dd and Mac OS X will get you out of the fire."

The answer is: dd.

If you can't run dd because of security warnings, you may need to prepend the command string with "sudo" and authenticate yourself.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Depending on how valuable your data is, you might consider a data recovery service.

Not cheap but will probably rescue more data than your method.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80