Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevindk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hello fellow mac users!

I have a big problem on my Macbook Pro. I tried doing to SSD tweaks showing here and specifically this one:
This tweak is only useful if you have both SSD as well as HDD in your Mac. I’m using this in my iMac. I moved all the content of /Users folder to the HDD and created a symbolic link from the SSD to it (so that I don’t have to change the home folder location in the user settings, as I read some applications don’t like it and may not work correctly). To do that execute the following commands in Terminal:

sudo ditto /Users /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users
sudo mv /Users /Users.bak
sudo ln -s /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users /Users

Now the problem is nothing happened when I did it even though i changed the your_hdd_name to Macintosh_HD, so I just left it. When I restart my computer I suddenly lose all my space left and it kept going down. I go to "/Volumes" and see a folder called Macintosh_HD with a lot of GBS in it. I tried to delete it and it keeps coming back. How do I stop this madness?

I have a dual boot SSD + HDD, i see both the folder and the real Volume. Sorry for the [Urgent] but i'm pretty sure this is wearing out my SSD.

Image of how it looks like http://gyazo.com/776f4484179f64cdf113642cb5b994ec

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Hello fellow mac users!

I have a big problem on my Macbook Pro. I tried doing to SSD tweaks showing here and specifically this one:

Now the problem is nothing happened when I did it even though i changed the your_hdd_name to Macintosh_HD, so I just left it. When I restart my computer I suddenly lose all my space left and it kept going down. I go to "/Volumes" and see a folder called Macintosh_HD with a lot of GBS in it. I tried to delete it and it keeps coming back. How do I stop this madness?

I have a dual boot SSD + HDD, i see both the folder and the real Volume

Image of how it looks like http://gyazo.com/776f4484179f64cdf113642cb5b994ec

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but don't try deleting anything until someone else here gives you some solid advice in how to proceed.

kevindk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but don't try deleting anything until someone else here gives you some solid advice in how to proceed.
Alright I wont do anything for now. Thanks for replying anyways!

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Likely the partition on your hard drive was not called "Macintosh_HD" but "Macintosh HD" which in the terminal should either be enclosed with quotes or use a \ before the space, so "Macintosh\ HD".

So what has happened is:
1) "sudo ditto /Users /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users"
You copied your entire /Users folder on your SSD into the folder /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users also on your SSD.

2) "sudo mv /Users /Users.bak"
You moved the /Users folder on the SSD to /Users.bak also on the SSD.

3) "sudo ln -s /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users /Users"
You made a symbolic link from /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users to /Users

4) You then realised there was a problem and started deleting the contents of /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users which is unfortunately your current /Users folder containing all your files.

Luckily you should have a backup as "/Users.bak".

However before you do anything further make sure you have everything backed up to another drive.

I'm not sure how the system would react to having no /Users folder while it is running so you may need to repair things by booting from the recovery partition, external drive with OSX installed or with it connected to another Mac in target disk mode to issue these commands.

The general steps I would try are:
a) Remove the symbolic link "sudo rm /Users"
b) Restore the backup "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users"
c) Remove the extra files "sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/"
d) Restart and check everything is working correctly
e) Remove the backup "sudo rm -r /Users.bak/"

Might want to wait to see if anyone sees a flaw in my commands before trying them though.

Personally I don't bother with any of those tweaks on my SSD's, with the exception of moving users directory one (I don't do this anymore as its not compatible with FileVault2 and I use a DIY Fusion drive instead). Though when I've done this in the past I've just copied the contents of my home directory onto the HDD and then used System Preferences to repoint. After checking its all working then I delete just my users directory (not the entire /Users).

Last edited:

kevindk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Likely the partition on your hard drive was not called "Macintosh_HD" but "Macintosh HD" which in the terminal should either be enclosed with quotes or use a \ before the space, so "Macintosh\ HD".

So what has happened is:
1) "sudo ditto /Users /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users"
You copied your entire /Users folder on your SSD into the folder /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users also on your SSD.

2) "sudo mv /Users /Users.bak"
You moved the /Users folder on the SSD to /Users.bak also on the SSD.

3) "sudo ln -s /Volumes/your_hdd_name/Users /Users"
You made a symbolic link from /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users to /Users

4) You then realised there was a problem and started deleting the contents of /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users which is unfortunately your current /Users folder containing all your files.

Luckily you should have a backup as "/Users.bak".

However before you do anything further make sure you have everything backed up to another drive.

I'm not sure how the system would react to having no /Users folder while it is running so you may need to repair things by booting from the recovery partition, external drive with OSX installed or with it connected to another Mac in target disk mode to issue these commands.

The general steps I would try are:
a) Remove the symbolic link "sudo rm /Users"
b) Restore the backup "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users"
c) Remove the extra files "sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/"
d) Restart and check everything is working correctly
e) Remove the backup "sudo rm -r /Users.bak/"

Might want to wait to see if anyone sees a flaw in my commands before trying them though.

Personally I don't bother with any of those tweaks on my SSD's, with the exception of moving users directory one (I don't do this anymore as its not compatible with FileVault2 and I use a DIY Fusion drive instead). Though when I've done this in the past I've just copied the contents of my home directory onto the HDD and then used System Preferences to repoint. After checking its all working then I delete just my users directory (not the entire /Users).

Ive messed up real bad.. When i enter the command "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users" it replies "cp: /Users.bak: No such file or directory"

What should i do :confused:?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Ive messed up real bad.. When i enter the command "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users" it replies "cp: /Users.bak: No such file or directory"

What should i do :confused:?

Try:
1) "cd /"
2) "ls -a"

Then post the list of files it outputs.

Hopefully there is a Users.bak there (though it looks like there isn't) otherwise you'll need to restore from a separate backup.

Btw the command "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users" would actually need to be "sudo cp -r /Users.bak /Users" (my bad) but if that was the problem it would say "cp: Users.bak is a directory (not copied)." so that isn't the current problem.

kevindk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Try:
1) "cd /"
2) "ls -a"

Then post the list of files it outputs.

Hopefully there is a Users.bak there (though it looks like there isn't) otherwise you'll need to restore from a separate backup.

Btw the command "sudo cp /Users.bak /Users" would actually need to be "sudo cp -r /Users.bak /Users" (my bad) but if that was the problem it would say "cp: Users.bak is a directory (not copied)." so that isn't the current problem.

Code:
.			Applications		home
..			Library			libpeerconnection.log
.DS_Store		Network			mach_kernel
.DocumentRevisions-V100	Shockwave Log		net
.Spotlight-V100		System			private
.Trashes		Users			sbin
.apdisk			Volumes			tmp
.dbfseventsd		bin			usr
.file			cores			var
.fseventsd		dev
.vol			etc

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Hmm so there's no Users.bak, so you can't simply restore your /Users folder to how it was.

Do you have any other backups?

I know this is too late now, but I personally wouldn't bother with any of those changes for SSD's listed on that site you posted in your first post. Maybe with the exception of enabling TRIM if needed by your SSD. Unless you don't have enough room on your SSD I would leave the /Users folder in its default location and just manually move large files to the HDD from your home folder if you need to.

kevindk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hmm so there's no Users.bak, so you can't simply restore your /Users folder to how it was.

Do you have any other backups?

I know this is too late now, but I personally wouldn't bother with any of those changes for SSD's listed on that site you posted in your first post. Maybe with the exception of enabling TRIM if needed by your SSD. Unless you don't have enough room on your SSD I would leave the /Users folder in its default location and just manually move large files to the HDD from your home folder if you need to.

No I don't have any backups at all. But isn't it possible just to delete it because my Users folder is still in it regular place also. So I have 2 users folders now and I only use the one that is where it always is.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
No I don't have any backups at all. But isn't it possible just to delete it because my Users folder is still in it regular place also. So I have 2 users folders now and I only use the one that is where it always is.

Where is your second users folder?

There should be one in /Volumes/Macintosh_HD/Users
Which is linked to /Users and so is the same, not a duplicate.

There would have been a second in /Users.bak, which would have been the original, but it must have been deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.