URGENT - Hard Drive Replacement Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbernie41, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I took apart my MBP 2.4ghz, 200gig HD, whichever model that is. I took out my 200 gig HD and put in a WD5000BEVT 500 gig and put it all back together. I plugged in my external with time machine backups on it and turned on my MBP. Said there was no bootable disk and to insert disk and press any key. I put in my leopard CD and the keyboard didn't seem to be responding. I shut it down and plugged in my HD i just took out via USB external enclosure and held in OPTION to try to boot from that drive, the only thing that showed up was the Leopard CD, however it made me think that my keyboard was working fine. It took me to the install screen and such and when it got to "Select Destination" screen there are NO drives showing up. Please help! I read tons of comments on Newegg and on here about how people used that HD as an internal replacement. Anyone experience this?!?!

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Do a little more rigorous debugging. Check that your new drive is seated in there properly and reboot. If you're still having trouble, take the new one out and replace it and repeat the procedure. The only way the second option wouldn't work is if you're not putting it in right or you've damaged something.

3. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular

I may have crapped my pants prematurely... after doing a little digging around I went into system profiler and the drive is there and in another thread someone just had to erase it and then it showed up in the installer... so I will try that and let you know how it goes!

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You mean to imply it can be done maturely? ;)

5. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Yes that drive needs to be formatted so the OS can see it . Make sure your format it Mac OS extended Journaled than make a one partition of it and make sure you hit the options and make it Guid name it Master Hard drive or whatever than it should show up on desktop . BTW no need to zero it out since it is new

6. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular