Urgent! Help/Advice Much Appreciated! (Keyboard and Power Button)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jaykee, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jaykee, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

Jaykee macrumors member

Hey guys, I ordered some Arctic Cooling MX-4 recently and it arrived today. I know my way around computers and too all anti static measures to prevent ESD damage to the logic board and thankfully, its working fine still.

I couldnt get the logic board fully out, something was keeping it there near the top right corner so I put everything back together since its such an expensive machine. (I have a Mid 2012 i7 2.3GHz MBP) But when I went to power it on, I got nothing. No response or anything.

After I realised I could power on the MBP by leaving it shut and plugging the power in I quickly found out that the keyboard didn't work at all. Incl the power button (i believe they're connected to eachother).

The main thing that I noticed is that this ribbon cable
    [​IMG]
    didn't want to go in properly. Looking around it seems that this is the keyboard ribbon cable but theres just no way at all it will go in. (when I opened it I remember this ribbon cable just fell out....)

Any help would be appreciated. I dont know where I stand if I were to send it to Apple or whatever since I have changed alot on this machine.
    [​IMG]
    As youll see, Ive changed the RAM to a 16GB set and also changed out the stock HDD to a 256gb SSD + the optical drive to a secondary hard drive.

Thanks!

2. Jaykee thread starter macrumors member

Also I dont quite 100% understand what they mean by this but for my MacBook I have this.

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: October 22, 2013

I bought it last year, haven't had it the whole year yet, though.

3. Jaykee thread starter macrumors member

4. Bear macrumors G3

Why did you decide you needed new thermal compound in your Mac? If there was an issue, you should've brought it in to Apple under warranty. Depending on what you did to it, you may have voided your warranty.

It means your warranty expires on the date listed unless you can prove otherwise. If you didn't buy it directly from Apple, you might need to provide a receipt to prove date of purchase.

5. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

There is a latch on the connector. Flip it up 90 degrees, insert ribbon cable, swing latch back down.

Attached Files:

6. Jaykee thread starter macrumors member

There was never a "problem" with the machine. I just noticed it was very hot, 75*c upwards on full load which was totally uncomfortable on my hands when I was using it. Researching I saw people had very good results doing so. As I've done it countless amounts of times on different laptops/computers I thought I'd do it on my Macbook too.
    And I bought the Macbook on the 15th, so I have the receipt still in the box for the laptop thankfully.

Only changes I made were the SSD, optical drive out for a secondary HDD and upgraded the RAM to 16gb from stock 4gb.

I've tried that but it just doesn't seem to want to go back in easily. People have said its a tight fit but I cant get a nice grip on it, would you think the best way is to send it in to a Apple Certified place near me?

7. Laco macrumors 6502

75C is not hot for an Apple laptop. I can not remember where I read this but I am confident that removing the optical drive and switching it with a hard drive voids the warranty. I would switch this back before going to the apple store.

8. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I use tweezers as illustrated below. They have flat tips so they spread out the force on the ribbon cable. Works for me and I attach these cables day in and day out :)

Attached Files: