Urgent help. At my wits end. Mbp trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schneebles, Jan 13, 2012.

1. schneebles macrumors newbie

So.

Here's the problem. My 2007 MBP is super fantastic. It was handed down to me from my friend who used it religiously. I use it for my budding career in graphic design and web development (urgent deadlines are looming)

Anyway.

Today, I was looking through ebook files on my Finder when the mouse started stalling. It got slower and slower and then got stuck. So, thinking it was task overloading by some application I had left running, I did a manual restart and held down the power button.
    When I went to turn it on a few seconds later, it didn't budge. The fan went on but the screen is still black. The battery is fine. The charger is fine.
    I did all the various restarts. The SMC restart and the other one and nothing...

I live in Ireland and the nearest apple store is 3 hours away. Nor do they have proper phone support. I urgently need the problem rectified.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Nvidia 8600 GT GPU?

Did you try to boot from a CD?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sounds like a logic board issue, but did you try an external monitor to see if anything displays.

5. MagicBoy, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Doubt it, those machines launched in early 2008.

/EDIT: Brain Fade - ignore the above.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

From Apple:

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. schneebles thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres no start up chime. I checked the magcord, the battery is working, the charge is working.
    When I turn it on, the disk drive clicks and hums. Then the grey light appears on the clasp button. Apart from the above and the fan buzzing, thats all thats going on. I'm really really really worried.

----------

Dumb it down a little for me! I don't have a cd to boot from. It was a hand-me-down from a friend in another country.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In all likelihood it's a serious hardware fault then, probably nVidia related. It needs testing properly by an Apple Tech.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What model is your laptop? Tell us everything you know, e.g. screen size, CPU speed, memory.

The question is whether your model has a 8600 GT graphics card. This graphics card suffered from a manufacturing defect and has a higher than normal failure rate. I would say that 9 out of 10 macbook failures from those model lines are due to the graphics card.

edit: See post below to find out your model.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

13. schneebles thread starter macrumors newbie

Its 15in 2.4ghz core 2 duo 2gb. VRAM 160gb. 540rpm

which means nothing to me but i hope it means lots to you guys!!!

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok. It seems all MBPs from that time have the 8600 GT graphics card. Which means you are most likely affected by the following issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Here are some things you could try to eliminate other possible issues before giving up:

- boot from a OSX CD. Ask your friend if you don't have any.
    - try booting from an external disc drive
    -