Urgent help. At my wits end. Mbp trouble

schneebles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
So.

Here's the problem. My 2007 MBP is super fantastic. It was handed down to me from my friend who used it religiously. I use it for my budding career in graphic design and web development (urgent deadlines are looming)

Anyway.

Today, I was looking through ebook files on my Finder when the mouse started stalling. It got slower and slower and then got stuck. So, thinking it was task overloading by some application I had left running, I did a manual restart and held down the power button.
When I went to turn it on a few seconds later, it didn't budge. The fan went on but the screen is still black. The battery is fine. The charger is fine.
I did all the various restarts. The SMC restart and the other one and nothing...

I live in Ireland and the nearest apple store is 3 hours away. Nor do they have proper phone support. I urgently need the problem rectified.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Sounds like a logic board issue, but did you try an external monitor to see if anything displays.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Doubt it, those machines launched in early 2008.
From Apple:
Specific products affected:

MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008

schneebles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Theres no start up chime. I checked the magcord, the battery is working, the charge is working.
When I turn it on, the disk drive clicks and hums. Then the grey light appears on the clasp button. Apart from the above and the fan buzzing, thats all thats going on. I'm really really really worried.

----------

Nvidia 8600 GT GPU?

Did you try to boot from a CD?
Dumb it down a little for me! I don't have a cd to boot from. It was a hand-me-down from a friend in another country.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Dumb it down a little for me! I don't have a cd to boot from. It was a hand-me-down from a friend in another country.
What model is your laptop? Tell us everything you know, e.g. screen size, CPU speed, memory.

The question is whether your model has a 8600 GT graphics card. This graphics card suffered from a manufacturing defect and has a higher than normal failure rate. I would say that 9 out of 10 macbook failures from those model lines are due to the graphics card.

edit: See post below to find out your model.

schneebles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Its 15in 2.4ghz core 2 duo 2gb. VRAM 160gb. 540rpm

which means nothing to me but i hope it means lots to you guys!!!

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Its 15in 2.4ghz core 2 duo 2gb. VRAM 160gb. 540rpm

which means nothing to me but i hope it means lots to you guys!!!
Ok. It seems all MBPs from that time have the 8600 GT graphics card. Which means you are most likely affected by the following issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Here are some things you could try to eliminate other possible issues before giving up:

- boot from a OSX CD. Ask your friend if you don't have any.
- try booting from an external disc drive
-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.