Mac URGENT HELP: Batch extracting map visualisations

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I want to pull a load of information/images out of a website in order to create one huge image of flood risk zones in the UK.

LINK: http://watermaps.environment-agency...e&y=183843&x=591713#x=579982&y=173669&scale=5

The problem is that the website only shows the overlay at scale zoom 5 or more and only at a certain image size. Ideally I would like the entire map saved to a png at zoom scale 5 (or even 6 if possible! - beyond 6 it pixelates).

Interestingly when I right click on the image after it has loaded it lets me save it as a png which only saves the overlay and it is even a transparent png (perfect!).

Does anyone possess the expertise in programming to extract this map?

Any help would be amazing!

(for context I am looking to extract this map for educational and analysis purposes (Masters Degree student work) - not commercial however I may make the map available after for everyone as well)

Thanks!

p.s. There may even be a master file somewhere that these tiles are being generated from, but I can't figure it out from the source code! (in eps or png format)
p.s. I could do this in photoshop but doing it manually would take a while!

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=498238&stc=1&d=1411910411

Attachments

Last edited:

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Upon further investigation, it seems to me that these png images are being generated from a master eps vector file of the entire UK, can someone please try and track this file down as this would be ideal!

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I contacted them a while back but they've not got back to me, anyhow, I ended up using photoshop and a batch downloader plug-in in Firefox to accomplish this, I go the whole map in the end (raster)!

I just asked here as I wondered if anyone had come across these types of viewers in the past or has even made one for a website, in which case they may have know a way to extract larger amount of information or the original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.