URGENT HELP: Hard Drive Wont Mount

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melodeath, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I have an external hard drive (NTFS) hooked up via firewire to a firewire audio interface, hooked up to my Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.4. I accidentally turned off my firewire interface before ejecting the hard drive. (I have done this before, it's hard to remember I have my hard drive on sometimes, and nothing bad has happened). When I turned the hard drive back on, the mac says "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I can pick "Initialize..." "Ignore" or "Eject"

If I click Initialize, I can't repair the disk or anything because it is NTFS.

I tried booting into Windows 7, and it does not recognize the drive either.

Please help me.

EDIT: I also tried using USB instead of firewire, but I have the same problem

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you put your ear next to the hard drive, do you hear any odd noises like a clicking? If you don't have a backup of the data, you might consider investing in diskwarrior.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, everything sounds normal with the drive. Just the usual spinning sound.

In windows, it says I need to initialize the drive, but I am worried that doing so will erase my data (assuming it's still on the drive)

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

5. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would those programs write data onto the drive? I don't want to write any data on the drive, just in case I have to do data recovery