URGENT HELP: iPhone 3GS signal dropping/calls dropping

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by UnitediP4, Apr 15, 2011.

1. UnitediP4 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a iPhone 3GS with firmware 3.1.2 (it's not jailbroken). Since 2 days I'm having signal problems, signal keeps dropping and calls keep dropping while there's no problem with the actual signal because I'm getting full signal strength on my iPhone 4.

I've tried restoring my 3GS but it hasn't helped.

What do you reckon, will updating to 4.3.2 help solve the problem?

I'm waiting for a reply, it's a bit urgent because I need to make calls and receive calls on my 3GS.

Cheers.

2. funwithamar macrumors regular

not sure if upgrading will fix the problem .. but i suggest u do upgrade to 4.3.2 as its got a lot more features that 3.x
    either way no harm in upgrading .

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

4. Chris.A macrumors newbie

I have been haveing the same problem since my upgrade.. Even 4.3.2 has not helped. tried two new sim cards. MFU restore.. Apple store was no help other then to offer a $199 replacement. might try that next.

Any one else haveing the same problem regester and report what you have done. Im sure lots of people are haveing the same problem read about it and move on.

On a commute of mine I can lose signal about 8 times on the freeway. I commute about 50 miles.

5. Chris.A macrumors newbie

Ok been seeing this same problem poping up in several forums..

6. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I have been having similar issues. For the past day and half or so my data connection has been intermittent at best with no edge connection 95% of the time. (I have the original iPhone) It will connect randomly at times and then disconnect. I've restored the phone. Removed the sim and re-seated it. Called AT&T (of course they claim no issue on their end) but ran through all there tests. Soft reset, hard reset, clear cache, history, and temp files, airplane mode on and off. Nothing has worked. It's incredibly frustrating.

7. Chris.A macrumors newbie

Today I found a place on craigslist. They replaced my antenna and so far so good. They promised to refund my money if it did not help but so far I am happy. Battery life is better signal is better.. Cost $40.00 Kight be worth looking into.

8. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I have a new 3gs on a contract only 2 weeks old.
    I had a 4.3.1 in a poor reception area, got calls and txts.
    Upgraded to 4.3.2, and now get Nothing, I mean Nothing in the same area.

I have tried to downgrade with instructions from redmondpie, but to no effect.
    It fails each and every time, so I am a bit stuck.

As this is a new 3gs, and my contract has only just begun. I'm going to play the "broken iphone" card with my carrier, and hope that the phone they provide me is iOS 4.2, if not then I'm going to have to either move provider, which I do not want to do as I've had the same number for 15 years
    Either that or have to play around.

Not happy :(

9. Macaroniee macrumors newbie

iphone 3g signal dropping fix

I had the same problem where the signal would either drop or be full but still couldn't call/text. I had to turn off the 3G setting (settings - general - network - turn off 3G) and now my phone is working fine. I read it somewhere that this is a bug with 4.3.2 update.