Urgent Help - MacMini No Admin Password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scb02, Mar 30, 2010.

1. scb02 macrumors regular

Just bought a MacMini it's running OSX tiger, i went to install my OS X leopard disc on it and it asked me for the admin password, i have sent the guy an email but he hasn't got back to me how would i bypass this to install Leopard or change it?

Thanks in advance
    Simon

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Put the disk in your computer, and hold C while booting to boot from the disk. Wait for it to load up, and go to Utilities > Reset Password. There you can reset the root password for the computer.

3. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that mate and it just gives me the apple and loading bar spins?

4. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

It's worked now mate cheers. Welll im installing the OS will i still be able to do it or should i reset the password first then install the OS?

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If you're going to reinstall the OS from the the way I've mentioned (booting from the disk rather than from within OSX), you don't need to reset the password. :)

6. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent cheers, not sure what problem is it loaded then said checking and stopped and said dirty disc (it's clean) so can't get it to install :(

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If it's possible to skip the disk check, just go ahead and do it. It will probably install fine anyway.