Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riderx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I am recording a talk for a friend and using a friends system while he is out of town. He has a soundcraft mixer and I am using a 1/8" cable to the line input on my laptop to record directly. I don't know where to insert the cable in the mixer (the 1/8' end). I've tried everything but the computer won't pick up the mixer (sound is properly configured on the computer). Any ideas?
please respond to treetopyogi@gmail.com

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Does the mixer have RCA outs? That might be the easiest way, since the signal would be compatible (unbalanced, consumer level). A simple RCA-to-1/8" adapter would do the trick.

- Martin

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's the longer version of my response (I typed the short one in on my iPhone, since you indicated it was urgent...).

What Soundcraft model is your friend using? If you can share this information, we can look up the manuals online and see what connections are available.

Virtually all mixers have balanced outputs on 1/4" phone ("TRS", which stands for "tip-ring-sleeve") and/or XLR connectors. One 1/4" TRS is a single channel, so don't connect it straight to a 1/8" stereo mini plug. One analog XLR, too, carries is a single channel of audio. You should be able to find an adapter that connects a pair of mono TRS (or a pair of mono XLRs) to a single 3.5mm stereo plug. It's not ideal, since the mixer's output is likely the "hotter" professional level rather than the consumer level, but if you turn down the mixer's output level enough this should work. Also, you are mixing balanced and unbalanced equipment, which often works alright but can introduce hum or other bad things.

If the mixer has an RCA output, it's a little simpler. An RCA-to-mini stereo plug adapter should be very easy to find (such as at your local Radio Shack).

If you think you will do recordings a lot (or need better quality for this one recording), you should consider getting a USB or (even better) Firewire audio interface for your laptop. You could then use the professional balanced connections all the way and more than likely get much better analog-digital conversion that what your laptop does with the built-in port.

No, sorry. The idea of the forum is that everybody can learn from the information exchanged, so I'll only post this in the public forum.

Good luck for your project!

- Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.