Urgent help needed: add transparency to image

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Hi

I'm making a keynote and I want to use some images that are JPEG with white background. Is it possible to convert the white background to transparent? I think I need some kind of flood fill because white is also present in the image itself, only the surrounding white has to be converted.

I don't have photoshop. Are there any free tools available for this? Any help is appreciated!

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
MacNeXT said:
Hi

I'm making a keynote and I want to use some images that are JPEG with white background. Is it possible to convert the white background to transparent? I think I need some kind of flood fill because white is also present in the image itself, only the surrounding white has to be converted.

I don't have photoshop. Are there any free tools available for this? Any help is appreciated!
I don't believe that .jpg supports transparency (but I could be wrong).
You may have to convert them to .gif and set the transparency.
You may also need to fill the white you want to keep with a different color.

Graphic Converter X should be able to help.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
As noted above JPEG does not support opacity at all. Depending on your image GIF may not be a suitable option. Other options include TIFF or PNG which both support opacity and allow for photo-level colours.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Go for PNG, better quality than a .gif, and Keynote will support it. JPEG does not support the transparency layer.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think you can use GraphicConverter's Transparent tool to convert white areas to transparent. This app should be included on your Mac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
emw said:
I think you can use GraphicConverter's Transparent tool to convert white areas to transparent. This app should be included on your Mac.
Pro line Macs only (i.e. PowerBook and PowerMac only).