urgent help needed on saving jailbroken iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mmdpkaaa, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mmdpkaaa macrumors newbie

Hi, mu iphone 3g which is jailbroken and unlocked has just crashed and now is just showing the connect to itunes screen whenever i switch it on. when i try and connect to itunes it tells me it needs to be recovered and when i click the button to recover it says it will erase all data and apply the latest software.
    please help on what i should do here as i think i am unable to unlock with yellow snow if the latest software is installed and this is essential to me!
    any help will be much appreciated.
    thanks

2. longrowe macrumors newbie

You will need to restore your phone. If you restore to 2.2 with the 2.28 baseband, you will not use your unlock. You can download the firmware here. With a Windows machine you hold SHIFT then click restore. This will allow you to browse for the fiirmware you just downloaded. Once you are restored to 2.2 then you can jailbreak and re-load yellowsn0w.

When you restore your phone it should ask you if you want to set up from a backup. Hopefully you have a backup saved on your computer. If so then you should not lose any of your data.

I have done this process several times and I havn't experienced any detrimental effects yet.

3. mmdpkaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

i am using a mac. when i click restore (tried holding shift) it just says that the iphone will be restored to factory settings and all data will be lost and the latest version of the iphone software will be installed - is there any way around this?!! also is it too late too backup my data as i am away for 2 weeks and using someone elses computer. thanks

4. mmdpkaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok have managed to get to the option screen by pressing option and clicking restore to allow me to select the firmware which i downloaded. unfortunately it will not allow me to actually select the firmware - it is greyed out. i have tried unzipping but still no joy. there are 2 subfolders labelled all flash and dfu. cant actually access any of the files in it though - can anyone help?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Since you have a mac. You need to use pwnage tool and make a custom 2.2.1 ipsw with no baseband upgrade. Then you can put the device into DFU Mode and do a shift restore in iTunes, and viola. :)

6. mmdpkaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i make a custom ipsw for 2.2.1 with no baseband upgrade?
    is there a link to this for dl?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    All the software can be downloaded here, but please just do a simple google search for it next time. We are not here to spoon-feed you answers. Pwnage Tool automatically disables the baseband upgrade.