Urgent Help Needed Please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattBP, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MattBP macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a problem that I need resolved quickly for a work event I am doing.

I need to create a shared folder (mac to mac) that will allow read/write access to any file that is dropped into it. We have a camera plugged into one MBP, and each time it takes a photo it will go into this folder. We then need our designer to be able to access this folder from his iMac (at same location).

No matter what I do, set the folders sharing permissions, set it to apply to all subdirectories, it only works for files that are currently in there. Any new picture added is added with no sharing permissions and I have to manually set each one as they come in.

We are taking nearly 1000 photos and editing them on the spot so taking out this little step ends up saving a lot of time.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks for reading,

Matt

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Based on the subject title I thought it was something urgent, like drowning.

Anyways best answer is a NAS on you LAN. Synology or Time Capsule are both excellent choices.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As an alternative, you can use Dropbox to share files with other computers, no matter where they are.

It would help if you specify what Mac models you're using, what versions of Mac OS X, etc.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I use Sofortbild to take pictures when my camera is attached to my MBP, and then use Automator to import the pictures into Aperture, where Photo Stream takes care of the rest.

Similarly, you may be able to use Sofortbild (awesome FREE program) and make Dropbox the destination folder, from which anyone you want should be able to access it.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The problem with using dropbox is that you're likely to go over the limit.

7. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Ok sorry for breaking post etiquette I haven't posted much.

The designers is running OSX 10.7 on one of the brand new 27" iMac's. The photographer is running a MBP currently awaiting which OS he has.

Sofortbild and Dropbox are looking like good solutions.

Sorry for being overdramatic just under a bit of time pressure!

Thanks heaps

Matt

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's true, if you have over 1,000 pics at 2MB each, unless you add more space to Dropbox by referring others or other methods, which can bump it over 8GB (16GB if you're a student).

6 Easy Tricks to get More Free Space at Dropbox | Booya Gadget

9. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

The other problem with Dropbox I just realized is it requires both computers connected to the internet (we are on site at an event and may not have an internet connection). Also it would take a long time to upload and then redownload each file.

Any options that only require local mac to mac linking? Can I do so with an ethernet cable?

Cheers!

Matt