urgent help needed regarding safari and adblock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neurophysicist, Nov 27, 2011.

1. neurophysicist macrumors member

Hello,

I am not sure if I ran into some sort of malware attack or a known issue, but every time I open safari I get a pop-up window saying "You exceeded the amount of storage AdBlock can use. Please unsubscribe from some filter lists! safari error". Every time I try and close the window, another opens, as well as another blank safari tab with the error. Has anyone had these troubles as well? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, strange. After about the sixth time force quitting and relaunching safari, everything appears to be back to normal. I went to my preferences and disabled adblock (assuming it was really the culprit).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not malware. It's obviously related to AdBlock operation. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

I have been using AdBlock by Michael Gundlach since the extension came out and have not see the problems you are seeing whilst using it.

With the filter lists I am only using the following if it helps
    AdBlock custom filters (recommended)
    EasyList (recommended)

These haven't caused any issues for me.

I suggest as I test try uninstalling the adblock extension and reinstall the current version which is 2.4.31

I can help with other questions if any

Also which other extensions are you using with safari currently?

4. OurTinyServant macrumors newbie

This is not a one off problem; the exact same thing is happening to me right now. I have to force quit a few times to get rid of the problem. Pretty irritating.

5. erikrocks macrumors newbie

6. JonasDK macrumors member

I am having the exact same problem =/ force quitting only helps temporarily.. I only have 1 filter activated (danish) ..

I will try un- and re-install later, and see if that helps

Incredibly annoying -.-

7. eternalstrife21 macrumors newbie

Adblock

Try going to library > Safari > user storage and deleting the adblock file here. It may reset adblock and take away the error message.

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

just happened to me too. seems like something recently went wonky with the extension, luckily i was able to force quit and disable it. we'll see if any updates addressing the issue get pushed in the next few days. since it seemed to happen rather suddenly to several people, i'd rather wait for the developer to issue a fix that poke around deleting preference files as through it was some sort of localized issue to my system.

9. captain g macrumors newbie

How to fix

1. Start Safari after a force quit
    2. Uninstall AdBlock via Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions -> AdBlock -> Uninstall
    3. Reinstall AdBlock from extensions.apple.com (scroll down just a little and click AdBlock -> install)

Here's a link tracking the issue:
    http://code.google.com/p/adblockforchrome/issues/detail?id=6238