Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fr7uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
About 3 months ago my iMac computer was stolen from my office.
The machine has it's own ichat identity and today it has appeared active on the buddy list of my home machine - so someone is using it right now.

I am after any advice or ideas on how to track this person - is there any way I can track their IP address through ichat? If I do get the IP Adress what is the best way get their real address from it.

I would really appreciate any help with this - the iMac was not the only thng they took, in fact they wiped us out and did a fair bit of damage too.

It would get the year off to a great start if we could track them down, maybe even getting some of our stuff back.

Thanks Guys.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
First of all, I would call the police and tell them that you know your computer is being used, and see if they have anyone who deals with things like that. I doubt they will be able to help that much, but it's worth a try.

You could try calling Kim Komando... (yes, the mac hating weird lady, but she's kinda, well, uh, attractive, for a computer nerd...) at 1-888-825-5254

You could also try to find some kids who can find someone's IP via AIM, and that might help.

Another place to try is http://www.lostpc.com

I hope you get it back...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I dont think there is much you can do. i have been thinking for a while and i am stumped. you could try talking to him. if this guy is stupid youc an maybe do some stuff. you could try talking to him like your a friend of yourself. if he plays along you will be in good shape. tell him to go to whatismyip.com. see if he will give you the number. if there are any apps for getting the ip or seeing the ip of someone over aim it wont be on the mac. if anyone can find a pc aim client that does this i will glady try it out on my pc and see we can catch this bastard.

iJon

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
First of all, best of luck to you, fr7uk, in your quest. But as long as we're on the subject, many of us recall the story of the guy who was able to track his stolen computer via Timbuk 2. And most of us read the story about the guy who managed to locate the eBay thief through this amazing network of passionate Mac fans.

Does anyone have detailed info on an efficient system to protect and later locate a (god forbid) stolen Mac? [aside from locking it down with a cable]

I've logged my computer's IP address locked away, but I'm sure that's not enough and I haven't figured out yet if lostPC.com's software is compatible with our machines.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a system in place that worked like SETI, or some sort of "always on" network locator (for Mac faithful) that could notify us of a computer's location, once we've reported it stolen?

Or perhaps Timbuk 2 is best?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by rt_brained
First of all, best of luck to you, fr7uk, in your quest. But as long as we're on the subject, many of us recall the story of the guy who was able to track his stolen computer via Timbuk 2. And most of us read the story about the guy who managed to locate the eBay thief through this amazing network of passionate Mac fans.

Does anyone have detailed info on an efficient system to protect and later locate a (god forbid) stolen Mac? [aside from locking it down with a cable]

I've logged my computer's IP address locked away, but I'm sure that's not enough and I haven't figured out yet if lostPC.com's software is compatible with our machines.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a system in place that worked like SETI, or some sort of "always on" network locator (for Mac faithful) that could notify us of a computer's location, once we've reported it stolen?

Or perhaps Timbuk 2 is best?
there is some software. its called macphonehom. they had a award winning pc sofware and they just ported it to mac os x and 9. the bad thing is is that it doesnt have all the good features the pc oen does. they both do the same thing, but the pc one can survive low levels and formats, the mac cannot. but chances are a person who is smart enought to steal isnt smart enough to format and that junk, specially because most theives are probably used to windows considering then they steal a laptop, a computer is a computer to them. whatever the case, its worth the money in my opinion. oh by the way fr7uk, if you had a flat panel imac, you have a lock down on that baby, use it next time if you get your computer back or get another one. http://www.pcphonehome.com

iJon

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Originally posted by rt_brained

You're in luck.
I just purchased PC PHoneHome, which now has a Mac version. It e-mails it's location every time it connects to the net. Price is 10.00 per year.
There are some IMPORTANT points to know, but I will leave it up to you to find out. OSX would be the best version, but there is a 9 build.
See http://www.pcphonehome.com

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
!!!!!!

USE APPLE REMOTE DESKTOP!!!!! You can send the file to him, let him install it and then remotly access the computer!!! I know the program cost $$$ but you can get it in "other ways" from LimeWire its called ARD or Apple Remote Desktop, I hopw you find it soon! GOOD LUCK!!!!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: !!!!!!

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
USE APPLE REMOTE DESKTOP!!!!! You can send the file to him, let him install it and then remotly access the computer!!! I know the program cost $$$ but you can get it in "other ways" from LimeWire its called ARD or Apple Remote Desktop, I hopw you find it soon! GOOD LUCK!!!!
you have a better chance of just talking to him and telling him to go to http://www.whatismyip.com and having him read you the number. and you save 400 dollars. plus it would be hard to set up. i have remote desktop on all my computers and its confusing to get started, im sure it would be hard to have him set up it up. i would go with the web page, its quick and simple. its really worth a shot.

iJon

sprocklingcat

macrumors member
May 4, 2002
KS
keep in mind

it has been 3 months since your mac was stolen and most likely whomever has it now is not the thief, but somwone who was given or bought the computer from the thief.

therefore i say talk to the person on the other end, chances are they will have no idea there is an iChat identity already loaded and they are on a stolen computer.

good luck

fr7uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Thanks to all of you

Thanks for all your ideas and advice - there are some very interesting ideas which I am going to follow up.

In the end a colleague had the idea of creating a dummy web page on our website concerning the stolen iMac, we then ichatted with whoever was using my machine and suggested they visit the page if they wanted to learn more about the robbery and the fact that the iMac was stolen.

My colleague - who runs the website - says that if the person visits the site we will be able to get their IP address from a web log as the page is unique and noone else has access to it.

If we do manage to get the IP address we will let you know and work out where to go from there.

Once again thanks guys - you time is much appreciated.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think contacting him and telling him to go to whatsmyip.com would be a good way to freak him out enough to piece the computer apart, if indeed he is the original thief. but chances are very good he's not. you said he made off with other stuff, do you mean other computers? because even if he wanted a computer for himself, he wouldn't need more than one, you'd think...

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Thanks to all of you

Originally posted by fr7uk
Thanks for all your ideas and advice - there are some very interesting ideas which I am going to follow up.

In the end a colleague had the idea of creating a dummy web page on our website concerning the stolen iMac, we then ichatted with whoever was using my machine and suggested they visit the page if they wanted to learn more about the robbery and the fact that the iMac was stolen.

My colleague - who runs the website - says that if the person visits the site we will be able to get their IP address from a web log as the page is unique and noone else has access to it.

If we do manage to get the IP address we will let you know and work out where to go from there.

Once again thanks guys - you time is much appreciated.
thats what i was thinking, just get him to a web page. all he has to do it click on it once. it doesn evne have to be about stolen computers. just get him to click the link and your set. you are very lucky i would say than most other people. you know you computer is online, i think if you just plan this out well enough you could pull this off, and yet another mac theif is caught. soon people will figure out they not want to jack that mac next time.lol

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.