Urgent help needed. Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ftbps macrumors member

Hello All,

I am not the only coming on this site only for help. I have other posts too. But this time I really need soem guidance.

My MBp started making fan humming noise and Apple was good enough to send me a new one. I have both in front of me. The old one has LG screen and the ne wone has Chi Mei (9c95). I hate the dullness of this screen as compared to LG.

Last night I made my old MBPs fans run at 6000 rpm for 3 hours and the fan noise is not reduce. It is so low that I will only hear if I put my ear towards it.

Should I keep my old one and return back the new one, because I like the screen and audio quality of old one better. If the fan noise is a concern, then I will send that back and use the new one. I will feel very sorry though to have a dull screen.

I am positive that the noise is from fan, because it is coming from left side under the keyboard, and the frequescy increases with increase in speed. I can always get the fans changed if they get worst in time. But I am just concerned if I keep my old MBP will my CPU actually overheat as compared to the new one and do so other bad things?

I know some of you know how the hardware is assembled. The fan noise might just be a brearing issue or somethnig is getting stuck or the fan actually is not rotating at the set speed.

Please advise.
    BPN

2. eddyhttp macrumors regular

the fan will not go out anytime soon in my opinion. i would keep the old mbp b/c the screen is so much better and that is something you really notice. since we are visual creatures and we take in 90% of our knowledge about the environment from our eyes.

lol sorry i am a bio major.

how did you get apple to send you a replacement without having to send yours back to them?

i had bad experience with apple. my glassbook pro has a bend lid, noisy fan, loose battery cover, and crooked keys. But i can't let go of it just for a day, i need it for all my classes and my PC died 2 days after i bought the macbook pro. they said they would send me a replacement but only after i sent them my mbp. it would take 4 days to get there and 7 days for my bto mbp to come in from china. : (

any advice?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Clearly there was enough of an issue with your old MBP that made you go through the pains of getting a return. However, if you're unhappy with the screen on the new one (which is a shocker to me) hen keep the old one and let it overheat. I don't get what you're saying that you ran the fans on the old one and such but whatever. If you're unhappy then return the new one keep the old one.

4. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

There are 2 ways to get a replacement. Either trust apple, repay for teh new one and then ship your old one and wait for the refund. Or sign an agreement that if you do not return the old laptop in 7 days after you receive new one, apple will charge your credit card.

As far as my laptop problem goes, i would like nore comments from some peopl. Thanks,
    BPN

5. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Anyone can throw some experience or thaughts on the fan noise. Please read my complete thread at the top.

Thansk,
    Bipin

6. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Idea: Have them fix the fan on your new computer. That way you can keep the nice screen.

7. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Problem resolved. The apple Genius took my MBP in for 3 hours and replaced the fan for me. Done! Very awesome service.