Urgent Help Needed With Back Up Via Super Duper - Failed To Copy Files & Errors!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

My Macbook Pro is going into Apple Agents for attention tomorrow & I am trying to back up via SuperDuper to an external Hard Drive so I can wipe the main drive on the notebook before I hand it in.

I have did a verify & repair permissions & then ran Super-Duper but in the keep getting a message - "Failed To Copy Files From Mackintosh HD To Macbook Pro Super-Duper Back- Up".

I am very novice level but having looked at the very long log, at the end in red there is the following:

"10:06:40 AM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying compressed /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/share/ri/1.8/system/REXML/SAX2Listener/xmldecl-i.yaml to /Volumes/Macbook Pro Super-Duper Back-Up 1/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/share/ri/1.8/system/REXML/SAX2Listener/xmldecl-i.yaml of type 8\n: Input/output error"

I am not sure but I think it is referring to a folder called "Ruby.framework" - no idea what it is or what it does!

If need be, I can post the entire log (but it is long!) - can anyone help me out on this - is there any way, I can deal with this so U can have a full back up of my stuff? I really do not want to not have a back up & send in my notebook with all my data on it as if I wipe the drive & Super Duper keeps failing, I will lose all my stuff. I am hoping it might be something simple to deal with if luck is on my side!! Please kindly help if at all you can!

Many Thanks,
    Bazzy!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the reason you are taking it to apple for service is a hardware issue, it's possible that SuperDuper is trying to access something that is corrupted on the disk.

I've been using superduper for years never an issue.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

First - send SuperDuper a Help request.... I've been using SuperDuper for years now, with very few issues. But when I've had them, they've been very helpful - and very quick. I'll get an email back with very clear instructions on what to do. Usually, to be fair, it's been a user issue.

Include the log with your email.

Next.... reboot your system. It will probably be the 1st thing they ask anyway. Rebooting clears up many many problems, both with SuperDuper and other applications.

Luck.

5. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

Many thanks so far - been in touch with SD & hopefully, they can help me out deal with this mess!

Out of interest, how should one back up on a Time Capsule if one needs to wipe the drive on the notebook? Should one just switch Time Machine off & then wipe the notebook Hard Drive? It will come back from technicians with an empty drive so I just want to make sure data transfer back from the TC to the repaired notebook will go smoothly!

I take it I just erase the notebook HD in Disk Utility?

Many Thanks!

6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

One more vote for this suggestion. If you get a similar error message then there's a hardware problem. I prefer Carbon to Super anyway. It's incredibly easy to use and I've never had a problem with it.

7. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

Well after speaking to the SD guy (amazingly helpful btw!), I had to do a complete erase & fresh back up as something messed up the back up drive during "repair disk" as well.

I am doing so now & just hope I get no more errors - 374GB of stuff to back up - I wonder how long that will take!

Bazzy!