Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Hello All

I have a 2009 27inch Core2Duo 8gb ram iMac. The hard drive is a brand new 3TB with a fresh install of 10.8.3. I want to install Windows 7 64bit.
I set up some basic settings and have a backup at the ready. When I open Boot Camp Assisant and click Continue to the second screen i get this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/ez9C8.jpg

There is only one partition formatted as Extended Journaled with 10.8.3 on it.
I have tried booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk. I also have done permissions and repair disk from safe mode.

What could be the issue here? I have no idea what to do and I REALLY need this to work ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
xeni

xeni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
vistadude,

Yes they have fixed the problem. The issue is in the screenshot. Boot Camp Assistant would have told me that it didnt support 3tb. The 10.8.3 update did fix it. And yes i have seen those pages. But it shouldnt be the issue.

blueroom,

are you serious? Could you please tell me where you know this from, whether its experience or a site, because I had the brand new 3tb internal put in by an Apple Authorised Service Provider.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Since there is no official >2TB internal for a 2009 iMac there would be no reason for Apple to upgrade the EFI to support it. Even external drive encloses USB / FW require recent firmware for >2GB support.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1475442/

PS I'm surprised it even works with OSX, on an unsupported PC BIOS it would have given you about 800GB and thrown away 2GB.

xeni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
I have successfully followed this thread and gotten the Boot Camp 5.0.0 installer from a previous backup and it partitions the drive and launches the Windows Install disc successfully. But then when I click on the Boot Camp partition (the fourth one on the list with EFI, Main install and Recovery before it) and click format as per Apple's instructions. It does the format but does not allow me to continue as it says it can't install to a GPT partition. So I read somewhere that an EFI Boot would do it so I restarted the Mac holding option and saw 4 options, Mac OS X, Recovery, Windows and EFI Boot so I tabbed over to that and pressed enter to get... nothing. Nothing changed and it just sits there so I have restarted the Mac and deleted the partition with Boot Camp Assistant and then retried to get the same results. Do you have any other ideas apart from a VM?

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Hello All

I have a 2009 27inch Core2Duo 8gb ram iMac. The hard drive is a brand new 3TB with a fresh install of 10.8.3. I want to install Windows 7 64bit.
I set up some basic settings and have a backup at the ready. When I open Boot Camp Assisant and click Continue to the second screen i get this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/ez9C8.jpg

There is only one partition formatted as Extended Journaled with 10.8.3 on it.
I have tried booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk. I also have done permissions and repair disk from safe mode.

What could be the issue here? I have no idea what to do and I REALLY need this to work ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
xeni

I had this issue recently too. Never solved it and did not want to reformat so now I just run Windows 7 through VMWare Fusion. It is fine for me as I just need it for work and not gaming.

xeni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Yeah thats a shame. I am still determined to get this to work somehow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.