Urgent help needed with MacOSx issue on Macbook pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kaymun, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kaymun macrumors newbie

I have a special problem- please see if you can help me out here. I have a partition in my MAC book pro for windows and Mac OSx. I primarily work on Mac OS. This morning when I logged in my MAC Os, desktop was very slow and kept giving me a blue screen from time to time which I thought was very peculiar as the Mac is very fast and never hangs between tasks. So I did a restart and it would load the Mac OS startup screen (the grey screen with apple) but never go beyond that to the desktop. So I used the disk utility CD to load from CD and tried to repair the disk. It says repair done and updating parition drives or something and then nothing happens. When I try to quit even after 2 hours it says something is happening but the task is never completed. So then I got fedup and tried to erase the disk. Halfway after erasing and formatting the application just sits there and doesnt complete it even after a hour or two after it started. However, during this process my Mac partition was "unmounted" which makes it an inactive partition. So now, when I tried to do a fresh install of the Mac OS, I cant select my MAC partition and I cant obviously install on my windows partition. I also dont see any option for creating a new drive. However, my windows partition/bootcamp is still accessible and I can boot windows 7. Now how to I get rid of the old Mac partition, create a new one and then install Mac OSX again?

2. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

You took a minor situation and made it a whole lot worse. Hopefully you have back ups. You need to do a complete reinstall of MAC OS X then use Apple Boot Camp to reinstall Windows.
    You could always take the computer in to a Mac Store to have the computer checked out, but at this point I don't think any one can help you after you took matter into your own hands like you did.
    :eek:

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Hope you have your stuff backed up, it sounds like you have some issues with that HD, like hardware malfunction. The operations you tried should have worked, and the fact that they didn't indicates HD failure. How pld is the computer? Not that that matters much, even new drives can go south, rare but it does happen.
    If you have a backup, buy a new HD, pop it in and restore from the backup.:cool:

4. kaymun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but how do I do a complete reinstall of MacOS X if I can't access the Mac partition?

5. kaymun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the laptop is a little over 1 yr. I thought it was hard disk as well but was wondering then how is the windows still running ok.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You need to erase the drive, install OSX then when that's done reinstall Windows using Bootcamp.